Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple snippets from 2022 Model S manual, page 178:

"Model S has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model S for several weeks."

"Situations can arise in which you must leave Model S unplugged for an extended period of time (for example, at an airport when traveling). In these situations, keep the 1% in mind to ensure that you leave the Battery with a sufficient charge level. For example, over a two week period (14 days), the Battery may discharge by approximately 14%."

I have a mid-2016 MS90D with MCU2. My car will routinely sit for 2-3 months at a time as I spend about 75% of my time overseas. It was 13 weeks this past time, had one stretch early last year where went 15 weeks. I'll charge to 80% and typically be about 45 days to get down to 50ish percent at which point I'll trigger it to recharge. That works out to about 2% every 3 days. This is with overheat protection off. I do have my own datalogging program that wakes the car a little each day to monitor status of the battery (my program automates when it recharges so I don't have to trigger it manually). Otherwise leave apps closed on my phone so car can sleep most of the time.

I was gone 8 days and only lost 3% battery charge. I'm very surprised. From Tesla manual I was expecting at least 8% (1% per day). I live by the coast of SoCal so it never reach 86 degrees. I did not leave the Tesla plugged in. The only thing I did was to turn off dash cam and sentry.

If the vehicle is garaged or outdoors and the ambient temp will matter. Anectodally, my Model S is almost exclusively outdoors in a no-shade parking lot during daylight hours, and in our current 100°F daytime temps, I lose 5-10% of battery per day to battery tending (strictly battery - cabin overheat protection is off).

If the vehicle is garaged or outdoors and the ambient temp will matter. Anectodally, my Model S is almost exclusively outdoors in a no-shade parking lot during daylight hours, and in our current 100°F daytime temps, I lose 5-10% of battery per day to battery tending (strictly battery - cabin overheat protection is off).
This seems excessive even without overheat protection. Have you got it checked out?

Really sounds like either Sentry or Summons is on.

This seems excessive even without overheat protection. Have you got it checked out?

Really sounds like either Sentry or Summons is on.
I believe from they footer that @FoxSTL2HOU is talking at MS 85D. I've not followed too closely, but a few years ago some of the early 85 owners started reporting that they'd hear vehicle cooling system kicking on a lot even when their cars were parked. This was supposedly related to Tesla taking much more aggressive action on maintaining pack temp on these cars, similar to the actions around reducing supercharging speeds. That might be what is going on. It's not Sentry or Summons as a MS85D would be an AP1 car and not have either Sentry or they type of Summons that keeps the car awake.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
I believe from they footer that @FoxSTL2HOU is talking at MS 85D. I've not followed too closely, but a few years ago some of the early 85 owners started reporting that they'd hear vehicle cooling system kicking on a lot even when their cars were parked. This was supposedly related to Tesla taking much more aggressive action on maintaining pack temp on these cars, similar to the actions around reducing supercharging speeds. That might be what is going on. It's not Sentry or Summons as a MS85D would be an AP1 car and not have either Sentry or they type of Summons that keeps the car awake.
I see, I was making the statement based on current gen Model S. Good to know.