Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked on my drive home yesterday afternoon - turns out cabin overheat protection IS turned on. I didn't remember the prevention temperature was in the triple digits; I thought it was closer to 90°F.
Even if the temperature is not hot enough for the HVAC to need to run, having cabin overheat protection on will keep the car awake and increase the rate of parasitic drain.

Even if the temperature is not hot enough for the HVAC to need to run, having cabin overheat protection on will keep the car awake and increase the rate of parasitic drain.
Oh, it's hot enough to run - every time I was turning on the AC via app when leaving work, the interior temp was 105°F ish. Today, the first day I tested having cabin overheat protection off, it was 120°F.

Incorrect, simply leaving this enabled does not keep the car awake. If it is cooling the car, well that is something else.
Sorry, but I disagree in the case of MCU1, which is the case where this comment was first made. When cabin overheat first came out I tested it and even in moderate temps where HVAC did not need to run there was a significant difference.

MCU2 may behave differently as the way the processor sleeps is quite different. I've not ever retested it with MCU2, but I do know that I found some significant differences in behavior on what the car does and does not do in sleep, including how it responds to calls over the API. I ran into this after I upgraded last December and found I needed to go in and make adjustments to the logger program I've written that pulls data on my car for me.

Sorry, but I disagree in the case of MCU1, which is the case where this comment was first made. When cabin overheat first came out I tested it and even in moderate temps where HVAC did not need to run there was a significant difference.

MCU2 may behave differently as the way the processor sleeps is quite different. I've not ever retested it with MCU2, but I do know that I found some significant differences in behavior on what the car does and does not do in sleep, including how it responds to calls over the API. I ran into this after I upgraded last December and found I needed to go in and make adjustments to the logger program I've written that pulls data on my car for me.
Tested my 2020 MS, overheat protection on, Sentry off, temp never high enough for overheat to run, lost 500 watts per day. Definitely goes to sleep based on drain and on observation that the car was asleep (HV relay closes and opens, which does not happen if the car does not go to sleep as it stays closed all of the time)

Last edited:
Tested my 2020 MS, overheat protection on, Sentry off, temp never high enough for overheat to run, lost 500 watts per day. Definitely goes to sleep based on drain and on observation that the car was asleep (HV relay closes and opens, which does not happen if the car does not go to sleep as it stays closed all of the time)
I don't doubt your comments on MCU2, but I stand by my comments for MCU1, which is the configuration reference by the OP that initiated my original comment where leaving overheat protection on will impact.

As I stated, the sleep behavior for MCU2 is quite different than MCU1. My car sits not used for extended periods (like 13-15 weeks at a time while I'm overseas). I have my own logging program which I use to monitor and automate my periodic charging every month or two. I closely watch the parasitic energy loss over extended periods and have worked to refine how my logging program works to be able to keep an eye on it while letting the car sleep. I saw a very distinct difference in how the car sleeps when I upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 last December. My understanding is this goes back to basic differences in low energy saving modes of the processors. Certain actions would keep my car awake with MCU1 but do not disturb it now that I've upgraded to MCU2. Similarly, simply pinging the car over the API to request data doesn't wake the car with MCU2 but would for MCU1. That's where I had to implement logic changes in my logging program to monitor data while minimizing parasitic loss.

Even with pulling data around every 6 hours for 10-20 minutes I'm able to achieve < 500 watt energy loss per day with MCU2. That was not possible with MCU1 where this type of activity would drive more parasitic drain.

Enjoy your car.

Reactions: Russell and ATPMSD