Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T

tony26

This might be a stupid question but I have read that people should just plug in and charge when they get home. That's what I've basically done. Nomrally I use 10 to 20 percent of the battery daily for my commute depending on if I have to do things before and after work. I keep reading that people should once a month or every two months charge to 100 and go down to like 5 or 10 percent. I read that it will some how make the car see the whole battery. Please understand that I have no idea if this is true or not but it got me thinking, am I charging the wrong way? I basically might only use 10 to 20 percent of the battery daily.

If I should be doing things differently would you please let me know?

Thanks,

Tony

This might be a stupid question but I have read that people should just plug in and charge when they get home. That's what I've basically done. Nomrally I use 10 to 20 percent of the battery daily for my commute depending on if I have to do things before and after work. I keep reading that people should once a month or every two months charge to 100 and go down to like 5 or 10 percent. I read that it will some how make the car see the whole battery. Please understand that I have no idea if this is true or not but it got me thinking, am I charging the wrong way? I basically might only use 10 to 20 percent of the battery daily.
You're using the word "should" for both of those.
However, they do two different things that are at cross purposes to each other.

Small recharges and staying more toward the middle state of charge is generally the thing that is more for battery health and reducing degradation. That's why people recommend that one.

But using a very small area of the battery like that can confuse the battery monitoring system of the car, so its displayed range can drift and get kind of far off. Using a wider range by running it low and refilling bigger once in a while can help the car to "see" it better and tune that estimate back in. So that's why people recommend that one.

Thanks,

Tony
I use 10% for my commute, so I set my SOC level to 60%. 60 to 50 to 60. Always be charging.

I would say, you only need to help the BMS see the whole battery, only if it seems like it isn't. I don't think you need to do it on a regular pre-emptive basis. Rather, do it only if you see an issue. I think it's something you can do reactively, rather than proactively. I've had my 3 going on 4yrs and 40,000 miles and I've never had to help the BMS see the whole battery.

Reactions: Regaj

Thanks,

Tony
You said you use 10 to 20% of the battery daily, but didn't say how much you charge it up to.