Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Questions for Possible M3SR[+] Owner.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now what if he does say no, haha. At that point what do I do? Do I just stick with standard charging which honestly probably won’t be enough, haha.😅

Then you could go with the option you already are looking at, which is that splitter.

What you would be asking him / her for, would be "can I pay to have an electrician install a 240V plug in the garage to use for an EV I plan to buy? I would get a qualified electrician to install it, at my expense."

In your situation, you dont want or need a "wall connector", and its possible that asking to have a wall connector (which can only be used for an electric vehicle) would be a "no" while installing an outlet" which can also be used for shop equipment, etc" might be a "yes".

Last edited:
Reactions: BeeGood
The worst your Landlord can say is no right? You won't lose anything by asking. It seems like any viable solution will involve additional money spent and electrical work. The Wall connector is the most streamlined/safe/fastest solution. A quick email to the Landlord should clarify whether it's an option or not.:)
Now what if he does say no, haha. At that point what do I do? Do I just stick with standard charging which honestly probably won’t be enough, haha.😅

Never know unless you try. If I was renting to someone, I'd say yet because I know that installing a 240 in the garage would increase the curb appeal of the home. The worst I might do is say, "I'll agree to that but I will have to pick the electrician and get an estimate. At that point, you can decide based on the estimate if you'd like to pay for it".

Mike

Just to parrot what others have said, it’s worth asking. If it was my property, I’m not saying “no” to someone who is going to add a feature to my property that has some uses after you’re gone.

Just make sure you explain to him that it’s a dryer plug (240V) and you’re having a licensed electrician do the work (and not just some random dude) so it will be safe and code-compliant. I honestly can’t think of any reason a landlord would say no to that.

Congrats on purchase. May have been stated here but my guess is that the converter on the M3SR+ will only safely give you 30 or so amps so my decision was that that Tesla wall charger was overkill. Grab another travel charger (the basic one that comes with the car) and then get a 15-40 NEMA for $35 on Tesla.com. Obviously get a dedicated 240 plug installed as it’s not good to plug and unplug

I have attached a Google Doc link below with a picture of the plug I’d be using if this is what you’re talking about. 😂 Untitled document
Here’s the Hubble 14/30 receptacle, I installed in a similar situation, uses the same 10/3 with ground romex cable... just adds a neutral JIC it’s ever needed.