Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging questions for someone who does not drive everyday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work from home, so I do not drive my car everyday. Should I leave it plugged in and have it charge everyday to 90%?

Thanks...still learning all the features on my Dual Motor AWD M3.

The manual crystal clear on this issue and it says to leave it plugged in. I know that many people don't read car manuals but this car is different enough that reading the manual is helpful.

Reactions: Rocky_H and TexasEV
I commute by bike or transit so I’m in a similar boat - the car sits for several days to a week at a time. I would keep it plugged in all the time, there’s no harm in that. Since almost all my trips are a handful of miles, except when I’m going out of the area, I keep mine charged to 60 or 65% and then just adjust the charging limit upwards when I have a longer trip planned. But you could safely leave it in the 70-75% range and not worry about it. Many will tell you that you can even go above that, but that’s my guidance.

Sometimes I do not drive the car whole week, it is sitting in a garage. I set it to be charged at 2:00 AM to 70%. As others said no harm if it stays connected. Just set the SOC limit and time.

You reminded me of something. I guess you do this because you want to maintain a respectable amount of charge in case you need it. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to do that. :) The one advantage ICE cars have over EV cars is they don't mysteriously lose lots of energy (gasoline) over night :D If I leave my car in the garage and went on an extended vacation, the car might be dead when I get back if not plugged in. My Ice car still has a couple hundred miles of gasoline in it, and starts up after a month even with a slightly reduced battery charge.

OK folks, don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm not proposing we all go back to ICE cars. :eek: I just wish batteries wouldn't lose so much energy by sitting around unused. I am an electronic design engineer, so yes I do understand the physics of it. Just wishful thinking.

OK folks, don't get your panties in a bunch. I'm not proposing we all go back to ICE cars. :eek: I just wish batteries wouldn't lose so much energy by sitting around unused. I am an electronic design engineer, so yes I do understand the physics of it. Just wishful thinking.

While you can probably leave your ICE parked for a while, if you don't drive it often you will develop problems. It is recommended that you drive it a couple of times per week, and that you get it up to full temperature (usually at least 10-15 miles of driving).

By the way, I've left my EVs in airport parking lots for a month at a time before, still had plenty of charge when I got back. Tesla seems to loose the most range at about 1% per day. My Nissan LEAF never lost any noticeable amount of charge when left for extended periods.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
While you can probably leave your ICE parked for a while, if you don't drive it often you will develop problems. It is recommended that you drive it a couple of times per week, and that you get it up to full temperature (usually at least 10-15 miles of driving).

Appreciate the thought. I'm not a mechanic, but Hmmmm, not sure what car will develop problems. My 2000 Acura MDX sits in the garage for weeks at a time, and I never had a single problem with it. Well, of course I replace the battery about every 4-5 years. 18 years and still going strong. Even the service center tells me no need to drive it regularly, and the car is in great shape. :)

And to add, the wife sits on her tail for weeks at a time, and she still runs fine :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You reminded me of something. I guess you do this because you want to maintain a respectable amount of charge in case you need it. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to do that. :) The one advantage ICE cars have over EV cars is they don't mysteriously lose lots of energy (gasoline) over night :D If I leave my car in the garage and went on an extended vacation, the car might be dead when I get back if not plugged in. My Ice car still has a couple hundred miles of gasoline in it, and starts up after a month even with a slightly reduced battery charge.

In case of vampire drain I think it is a pay for a lot of extra features we have in a model 3 comparing to other EVs. Lite-ion cells themself practically do not have self discharge or it is very small at least.