Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Questions with a non-Tesla L2 model.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got my TX yesterday and I am very satisfied with everything so far!

I have a ClipperCreek HCS-40P L2 EVSE in my home. I went to the charging menu on the screen and set it up to begin charging at 11pm, when my off-peak electricity hours begins.

Sometime shortly after it began charging, based on my notifications, my circuit breaker tripped. I didn't find out until the morning because I was already asleep. On the screen, next to the charging schedule is a togle for adjusting the charging amps (sorry if my nomenclature is incorrect) and it was set to 48.

Did my CB trip because the TX was attempting to draw too much power which my EVSE was not rated for?

I adjusted the Amps to be 32A, which is what my EVSE is rated for if I remember correctly. So far, no issues but it just started.

So finally, if I do have to adjust the amps based on the EVSE I am using, I'll have to do that for all non-Tesla EVSEs, right? Is there a way to easily tell what the Amp rating is for a public non-Tesla L2 charger?

...Did my CB trip because the TX was attempting to draw too much power which my EVSE was not rated for?...

Yes.

...adjust the amps...

You'll need to adjust the charging amps once and it remembers that number associated with GPS location from then on.

...a way to easily tell what the Amp rating is for a public non-Tesla L2 charger?

I guess looking for an amp label or look up plugshare.com or chargepoint.com ...

@Tam is incorrect. Your car will draw what it can from the level 2 charging station, up to the max set in the car. So leaving your car set at 48A when charging from a station that supplies 40A is not a problem. You have some other problem.

@Tam is incorrect. Your car will draw what it can from the level 2 charging station, up to the max set in the car. So leaving your car set at 48A when charging from a station that supplies 40A is not a problem. You have some other problem.

Thank you. Im not entirely sure what happened. The charger is on it's own circuit and is not sharing it with anything else AFAIK. When I set the Amps on the screen to 32A, I didn't have a problem. Granted, when it was set to the default value of 48A, that was the first and only time I tried plugging it in that way so I might just try it again to see if the same issue occurs.

If it happens again, I pretty much have no idea what's causing it. Any suggestions?

Set your car to 48A on the "Charging" screen, and then plug in your L2 charger and go look at the "Charging" screen again. The 48A should have dropped to 32A which is the correct setting the Clipper Creek charger should tell your car is the max allowed amps.