Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging rate app/vs car -which wins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive just been bitten by some bug to do with the charge rate in the app when using the depart at function. It appears my charging has started based on the MAX charging capability (32 amp UMC) but has only delivered what was set 2 days earlier at 16 amps. I thought I adjusted the charge rate but perhaps not.

I would have thought the charge rate didn’t really matter, as it would start to charge earlier if it was going to charge at a reduced rate, but it appears not to be the case.

Does anyone know if setting the amps in the car vs the app makes any difference? I’m almost certain I increased the charge rate from the app after I plugged in, but I’ll need to avoid this in future.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure neither wins - the setting of the charge rate via the App is just an API call to do the same thing as changing it in the car.

If you have that screen active on the console, and change the charge current on the App, you should see it then change on the screen in the car 5-10 seconds later once the setting is synchronised back to the car. Same with changing the maximum charge (% or km) setting. Or, if you change those settings in the car, you will then see that reflected back in the App 5-10 seconds later.

Do you mean UMC or HPWC? Not that it makes any difference.

I have 3-phase power, and the max HPWC setting is 3 phases at 16A per phase (11 kW) even if the DIP switch internally is set to 32A, which is the case with mine. With single phase, the HPWC can do 32A on that one phase (7 kW).

Im charging with the UMC on 32a tail single phase.

I got a notification when it started to charge, 3.5 hours before scheduled departure, to increase by 50% (about 26kw 2021 sr+) so this seems normal at 7.5kw.

When I opened the frunk an hour later via the app, it was displaying 16a and the screen in the car showed over 6 hours to completion. Frustrating.