Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging rate - discrepancy between screen and app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed recently that there's a discrepancy between the charging rate displayed on the touchscreen and the app. See attached image and screenshot taken seconds apart (apologies for the crappy image). Not exactly sure when this started but I think it's fairly recent.

I could understand if the difference was 1kW or so, but 10kW is a lot. Note that the charge miles per hour rating is the same.

"A man with one watch always knows the time; a man with two is never sure"

Anyone else seeing this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220307-112652_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220307-112652_Tesla.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,553
  • 20220307_112943.jpg
    20220307_112943.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 241
I noticed this the other day albeit the screen in the car said 37kW and the App said 47kW, my guess at the time was that it was being supplied 47kW by the charger and was using 37kW for actual charging and the other 10kW for heating the battery up but i never left it long enough to find out if that was really the case.

Reactions: Big Earl
That's a puzzle. Given that it's more or less the same MPH I can't se it really being a timing thing (and imagine you spotted this before taking pictures). Which battery do you have then we could perhaps work it back form the MPH to see which one matches. My money would be on the mobile app being off.

That's a puzzle. Given that it's more or less the same MPH I can't se it really being a timing thing (and imagine you spotted this before taking pictures). Which battery do you have then we could perhaps work it back form the MPH to see which one matches. My money would be on the mobile app being off.
I have an early 2021 LR with heat pump, so the LG ~70kW pack. It took me a few secs to take the screenshot then the image but the discrepancy was there throughout the charge session. And, when the touchscreen reported that charge speed had increased as the battery warmed up the app reported increased speed a few seconds later - but it was still 10kW different!

Did you have the heater? That can consume significant amount of power if heating and/or blowing. I don't think that power is, as you would expect, shown in the in car charging stats as its not hitting the battery, but I don't know about the app.

During some insomnia, I happened to watch the start of a charge with a cold car. Unfortunately I cannot remember if it was the app stats or TeslaFi stats that I was looking at, but it took quite some time before the battery was shown to be accepting a significant proportion of the charge vs what was being supplied to the car.

But if the car and battery was nicely warmed up I would not expect to see much of the supplied power not ending up in the battery.

Thanks, interesting. If I'm going to be sitting in the car while it's charging, I generally switch the HVAC off because I fondly imagine the car will charge faster as a result. Frozen tootsies be damned. it was switched off when I took the images.

I'll try to capture a video next charge and capture what happens with HVAC on and off.

The battery was only partially warmed up. I'd driven about 10 miles. The battery was cold at the start.
I'd imagine App was showing total delivered by the Stall whereas in-car was amount delivered into the battery. The difference being the amount used to heat the battery. If battery was cold at start, it'll still be cold after 10 miles, at least in terms of the optimum temperate needed to sustain high rate DC charging (approx 40c). There's an interesting video posted by Bjorn Nyland last week; albeit that was on a non heat pump car, like mine:

Reactions: duncans
I've noticed recently that there's a discrepancy between the charging rate displayed on the touchscreen and the app. See attached image and screenshot taken seconds apart (apologies for the crappy image). Not exactly sure when this started but I think it's fairly recent.

I could understand if the difference was 1kW or so, but 10kW is a lot. Note that the charge miles per hour rating is the same.

"A man with one watch always knows the time; a man with two is never sure"

Anyone else seeing this?
I’m having the same issue. Not sure when it happen. There is a 5% difference between my 2022 Model S and the app