Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, Loving the new M3 only 250 miles. I have a charging question. If the max charge rate is 32 amps with my home Tesla Charger will the car charge any faster at a Tesla Super Charger? I haven’t tried one yet but just curious. Also, do you believe there might be a future update that will allow for a higher amperage charge rate?
Thanks for any input.

Hi All, Loving the new M3 only 250 miles. I have a charging question. If the max charge rate is 32 amps with my home Tesla Charger will the car charge any faster at a Tesla Super Charger? I haven’t tried one yet but just curious. Also, do you believe there might be a future update that will allow for a higher amperage charge rate?
Thanks for any input.

Mid range and Standard range are set to 32amps, internal charger max. I believe long range and performance have 48amp chargers in them.

Superchargers bypass the internal charge and allow DC current directly, your car will charge significantly faster on a supercharger. V3 is set to charge up to 250kw opposed to your current 6/7kw at 32amp

Ok thanks that’s great to hear. My electrician went way overboard on my install (90amp breaker and some HD wire) hopefully that will payoff someday if updates allow especially since my SR+ is capped at a 32amp charge rate.

davecal, just so you know, a home charger is primarily intended to completely charge your Tesla overnight, working hard while you sleep. But basically just once per day. If you need to fully charge you battery more than once daily, a supercharger may be your only good option. The supercharger is probably 5 - 10X faster than your home charger, hence the name. I kinda think the Tesla salesperson didn't do a very good job of familiarizing you with your new car's great features. And yeah, your electrician probably went a bit overboard, because I think your midrange plus (is that what you have?) may be software-locked to a maximum charging rate of 32 Amperes.

Mine is definitely capped at 32amps so maybe a second Tesla someday.
Rich, My Tesla sales rep knew less about the car than me, they were overrun and sent a few staff people from another location that were not very knowledgeable at all. A very nice guy but unfortunately knew little to nothing about the many features so I’m learning as I go and getting great info on this forum. Thanks to all for the great advice!

Any way to get the default charge rate of 32 amps overridden to 48 amps?
I have a mid range and rate is capped which I dont know the reason for this.
I have a tesla home charger capable of 90 amp charge rate with the appropriate breaker and cannot charge over 32 amps which is stupid.

@Schroeder0202 The MR and SR variants of the Model 3 come with a 32 amp on-board charger. You are limited by the on-board electronics, not the wall connector. Only the various LR versions of the Model 3 are capable of charging at 48 amps.

The on-board charger is involved when charging from AC electricity. It does not limit the speed at which you DC charge (Supercharge), because the on-board charger is bypassed then.

@Schroeder0202 The MR and SR variants of the Model 3 come with a 32 amp on-board charger. You are limited by the on-board electronics, not the wall connector. Only the various LR versions of the Model 3 are capable of charging at 48 amps.

The on-board charger is involved when charging from AC electricity. It does not limit the speed at which you DC charge (Supercharge), because the on-board charger is bypassed then.
Thank you for the explanation