Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Rates MS vs MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lee_B

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2016
Alexandria VA
I have two Tesla's; a MS and a Model X. Both are 75d and both were built in 2016.
At my home charger the Model S charges at 3 miles per hour faster than the model X. I get 28 miles per hour charge with the X and 31 miles per hour with the S. Is that normal and should be expected or is that an anomaly?

I have two Tesla's; a MS and a Model X. Both are 75d and both were built in 2016.
At my home charger the Model S charges at 3 miles per hour faster than the model X. I get 28 miles per hour charge with the X and 31 miles per hour with the S. Is that normal and should be expected or is that an anomaly?
I bet if you had a Chevy Cruze and a Suburban one would get more miles/gallon than the other. Why would you expect EVs to be different in that regard?

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan and Rocky_H
I bet if you had a Chevy Cruze and a Suburban one would get more miles/gallon than the other. Why would you expect EVs to be different in that regard?
Because they are. I am not quite sure why two different engines and tank capacities would be in comparison to me asking about the rate of charge I see on two 75KW batteries. I asked about rate of charge not about range. But got some insight from some other posters

Because they are. I am not quite sure why two different engines and tank capacities would be in comparison to me asking about the rate of charge I see on two 75KW batteries. I asked about rate of charge not about range. But got some insight from some other posters
But the rate of charge IS about range, when you measure rate of charge in miles of range/hr of charge

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan and Rocky_H
Because they are. I am not quite sure why two different engines and tank capacities would be in comparison to me asking about the rate of charge I see on two 75KW batteries. I asked about rate of charge not about range.
He didn't say "range", did he? He said miles per gallon, which is about efficiency. I've used this analogy before. Let's say you have a pump source that outputs 1 gallon of gas per 5 seconds. Using the example above of a Chevy Cruze and a Suburban, they both got 1 gallon in that 5 seconds, so they are filling at the same rate. But how many miles per 5 seconds did they get? Well the Cruze is going to get about 35 miles from that gallon, while the Suburban will probably only get about 14 miles. So the miles per second or miles per hour absolutely depends on the efficiency of the vehicle.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: SSedan and Lee_B
But the rate of charge IS about range, when you measure rate of charge in miles of range/hr of charge
He didn't say "range", did he? He said miles per gallon, which is about efficiency. I've used this analogy before. Let's say you have a pump source that outputs 1 gallon of gas per 5 seconds. Using the example above of a Chevy Cruze and a Suburban, they both got 1 gallon in that 5 seconds, so they are filling at the same rate. But how many miles per 5 seconds did they get? Well the Cruze is going to get about 35 miles from that gallon, while the Suburban will probably only get about 14 miles. So the miles per second or miles per hour absolutely depends on the efficiency of the vehicle.
I said range and as the OP I asked the question which was answered in the first two responses. Your example explains why I asked the question and was initially confused. I wasn't questioning the efficiency of the vehicle I asked why two identical battery packs indicate two different rate of charge. Duh on my part; easy explanation but not the same as wondering why a four banger and a V8 hemi don't get the same mpg. I thought my charger would display the same MPH rate of charge. Since it's relative to the estimated range it does not. Got it.

The charge rate of my MS100D is very inaccurate, sometimes 50% off. For instance, charged at 22kW of power may display 130km/h, but charged at 46kW may display 127km/h.
Depending on how and when you see that, it is probably because they are different types of measurements. The kW of power is always an instantaneous reading--it shows what it is doing right now. The km/hr number does not show what it's doing right now, but is an average number for the whole of the charging session. So in your 46kW case, if it was at a slower rate earlier, and then just jumped up to 46kW, it would still show the lower average km/hr number for quite a while.

Depending on how and when you see that, it is probably because they are different types of measurements. The kW of power is always an instantaneous reading--it shows what it is doing right now. The km/hr number does not show what it's doing right now, but is an average number for the whole of the charging session. .....
km/h is the average number? that make sense.

There isn't enough information to make a determination as a number of factors could affect this.

1) Were both batteries at the same state of charge when you started?
As an example, when drained low the car takes a bit to ramp up in charging.

2) How are you wired? Are your two chargers wired to talk to each other?
If using a v2 charger and wired together, the chargers will prioritize the car with the lowest SoC.

3) Did both cars start charging at the same time?
If it's cold outside, the car takes a bit to ramp up charging as well. If one car is warmed and the other is cold, there could be a discrepancy.

As someone else said, take a look at kw and not mi/hr.
A 10% SoC on a MX75D = 23.7mi
A 10% SoC on a MS75D = 24.9mi

So assuming they both charge at the same rate you would see different mileage differences.

I ran this test on both my cars - both were 60Ds at the time; MX & MS. I initially thought the same until I realized the kw rate was the same. I tested this at home as well as on the supercharger. The only time I did actually see a difference was during items 1-3 above.

2) How are you wired? Are your two chargers wired to talk to each other?
If using a v2 charger and wired together, the chargers will prioritize the car with the lowest SoC.

3) Did both cars start charging at the same time?
If it's cold outside, the car takes a bit to ramp up charging as well. If one car is warmed and the other is cold, there could be a discrepancy.
I think you misunderstood the situation on this. There are not two different charging units, as you referred to in (2) and (3). The person is talking about his one wall connector, but sees different miles/hr, depending on which vehicle charges from it.

I think you misunderstood the situation on this. There are not two different charging units, as you referred to in (2) and (3). The person is talking about his one wall connector, but sees different miles/hr, depending on which vehicle charges from it.

I didn't notice he said one or two. Either way, the other points still apply directly to him. The 2nd point could still be helpful to someone else...