Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Recommendations for Model 3 and Non-Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our house has a 400A service to it and we are looking at how we can set up the garage charging to work for us. One EV will be a Model 3, and our second one may be a non-Tesla.

My initial thought was to have one 100A circuit, as some chargers can load balance between to connected chargers. Obviously having two Teslas and using the HPWC would be a natural choice, but the chance of two Tesla's is low.

Of the 400A service, we are only using 270A in the code rating of everything.

If you get a wall connector converted to J1772 from QuickChargePower, or use their JDapter, you can still load balance using two wall connectors even is both cars aren't Teslas. Since you have plenty of capacity, however, I think you should install two EVSEs on separate circuits. What I would do is run a 125a circuit to a subpanel in the garage, then run a 64a circuit to the wall connector you need now. I don't see much point to running 100a since newer cars can't make use of it. You can later run a circuit from the subpanel to either a second wall connector or J1772 EVSE once you get the second car and know what you really want.

You can also use the subpanel as the hub of a 100a load sharing arrangement if that's what you really want.

Two separate NEMA 14-50 plugs and an extra UMS/EVSE should do the trick for you. Unless you are driving a LOT of miles daily, 32A charging for the Tesla is more than enough.

I've got a 14-50 for the Model 3 and my 2108 Leaf just uses 120V 15A. I can plug the Leaf into the 14-50, if needed.

No, I don't have any of the fancy monitoring or control options, no power sharing or anything else cute. I've had an EV for 5 years and I don't need to worry about the battery charge rates, I already know it will be charged when I plug it in. I just don't worry about charging in either car anymore. And most importantly, I never have to spend time at the local gas stations, whose biggest sellers seen to be tobacco products.

Our house has a 400A service to it and we are looking at how we can set up the garage charging to work for us. One EV will be a Model 3, and our second one may be a non-Tesla.

My initial thought was to have one 100A circuit, as some chargers can load balance between to connected chargers. Obviously having two Teslas and using the HPWC would be a natural choice, but the chance of two Tesla's is low.

Of the 400A service, we are only using 270A in the code rating of everything.

Can you post pictures of your main electrical panel (or panels) - I want to see what available spaces you have and what the panel configuration is? Where are they in relation to your vehicle parking locations?

Where did you get that 270a number? Is that an actual load calculation? Or just adding up the breakers?

Regardless, it sounds like you have PLENTY of power available.

I personally am a big fan of the Wall Connector so I likely would do a Wall Connector for the Tesla (so I can keep the UMC in the car at all times). I would likely do a 60a circuit to the Wall Connector (since I think all currently produced Tesla's will max out their charge rate on a 60a circuit).

Then I would just install a second EVSE (say J1772) if you get a non-Tesla for the other car. Clipper Creek makes some good ones. I would size it for whatever the other car needs.