Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Reduced From 40A to 30A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two other vehicles that use J1772 connectors for charging. Is there an adapter so the Tesla HPWC can be used to charge these vehicles in addition to my MS60?

Quick Charge Power has a kickstarter project to finance the tooling to make an adapter for this.

Of course, you could also get a J1772 EVSE and use it for all three cars with help from Tesla's adapter that comes with the car. Clipper Creek makes good J1772 EVSEs. Prices are reasonable for 30 Amp units, which is enough for almost all needs.

However the higher Amp units are a lot more pricy than the HPWC. If you want to charge your MS at 48 or 72 Amps then Quick Charge Power's adapter is really attractive.

GSP

Quick Charge Power has a kickstarter project to finance the tooling to make an adapter for this.

Of course, you could also get a J1772 EVSE and use it for all three cars with help from Tesla's adapter that comes with the car. Clipper Creek makes good J1772 EVSEs. Prices are reasonable for 30 Amp units, which is enough for almost all needs.

However the higher Amp units are a lot more pricy than the HPWC. If you want to charge your MS at 48 or 72 Amps then Quick Charge Power's adapter is really attractive.

GSP

I presently have a 5 year old Blink charger that still works great and charges at 30 amps on my Tesla. I don't normally use it on my Tesla though because I like the 40 amp capability of the UMC. I also use it to charge our Volt and C-Max. I am thinking ahead when Blink reaches the end of its life and I need to buy another 240 volt charger. I would buy the Tesla HPWC if it could also charge my other two cars. But if that won't work because there is no adapter, I would probably buy the J1772 EVSE because it could be used on all three cars. But I would like to get one that can charge up to 40 amps if it wasn't too expensive. I agree with you that 30 amps is normally enough for overnight charging, adding about 20 miles per hour of range.

Are there any other benefits from buying a wall charger other than the extra 8 amps (48 amps) charge rate and to be used as a backup if the UMC fails? For example, is it more heavy duty and made to last a long time with better materials? Because my UMC failed within 3 months I'm wondering what the average expected life is of the UMC if it is used daily. I guess a poll on this topic may help answer this question.

The very early UMCs had an adapter issue and most were replaced within a couple of months. My replacement has lasted three years with no issues. I do get the 30 amps sometimes, but that's because the electricity in my area fluctuates.

The advantages of the HPWC are:

1. Cable is longer.

2. Cable is heavier.

3. If your electric service is up to it, it can charge faster.

4. If you are a belt+suspenders person, having both gives you a backup should the HPWC fail and allows a second car to plug in (or third with the new type HPWC).

5. Hardwired, so there is one less connection to fail.

I'm not sure that "more convenient" is correct. I leave the UMC plugged into the wall and only remove it for trips and the annual inspection. So unplugging it five or so times a year or so isn't noteworthy. I guess if you drive up to a vacation home or some such every weekend it would be more of an issue.

I'm not sure that "more convenient" is correct. I leave the UMC plugged into the wall and only remove it for trips and the annual inspection. So unplugging it five or so times a year or so isn't noteworthy. I guess if you drive up to a vacation home or some such every weekend it would be more of an issue.

"More convenient" can be peace of mind knowing you always have a way to charge in case you get caught in an unpredictable situation and are nowhere near a supercharger.

I presently have a 5 year old Blink charger that still works great and charges at 30 amps on my Tesla. I don't normally use it on my Tesla though because I like the 40 amp capability of the UMC. I also use it to charge our Volt and C-Max. I am thinking ahead when Blink reaches the end of its life and I need to buy another 240 volt charger. I would buy the Tesla HPWC if it could also charge my other two cars. But if that won't work because there is no adapter, I would probably buy the J1772 EVSE because it could be used on all three cars. But I would like to get one that can charge up to 40 amps if it wasn't too expensive. I agree with you that 30 amps is normally enough for overnight charging, adding about 20 miles per hour of range.
The easy solution is make sure your other two cars are Teslas. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CmdrThor
The very early UMCs had an adapter issue and most were replaced within a couple of months. My replacement has lasted three years with no issues. I do get the 30 amps sometimes, but that's because the electricity in my area fluctuates.

The advantages of the HPWC are:

1. Cable is longer.

2. Cable is heavier.

3. If your electric service is up to it, it can charge faster.

4. If you are a belt+suspenders person, having both gives you a backup should the HPWC fail and allows a second car to plug in (or third with the new type HPWC).

5. Hardwired, so there is one less connection to fail.

More convenient if you don't have to remember to unplug it and put in the car. That's all I meant.

No, Mobile is a capability, not a use requirement or even a suggestion. Tens of thousands of Tesla owners use the UMC for daily charging at home.

To each their own. I would be willing to bet though that the failure rate (however small it is) is at least 5x higher with daily use of the Mobile Connector compared to the Wall Connector. I have no data to back this up, just a wild guess.

QuickChargePower currently sells the new HPWC refitted with a J1772 plug. That would work with all your cars.