Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging reduced - Overheat detected at wall connector error TM3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Eastern Washington and plugged into my wall connector to recharge. When I came out to the car, which is in the garage, 3 hours later I saw a notice on the dash saying that the wall connector was hot and the charging rate had dropped. I looked at the connector and there was a red light showing in addition to the usual green display. The thermometer in the garage showed 100 degrees. The cable from the connector to the car was hot to the touch. Wanting to avoid problems I immediately turned off charging, thinking I'd resume at night when it got cooler. What I"m wondering about is if there is an automatic overheating disconnect. In other words, will it shut itself off if it gets too hot? Anybody know?

I live in Eastern Washington and plugged into my wall connector to recharge. When I came out to the car, which is in the garage, 3 hours later I saw a notice on the dash saying that the wall connector was hot and the charging rate had dropped. I looked at the connector and there was a red light showing in addition to the usual green display. The thermometer in the garage showed 100 degrees. The cable from the connector to the car was hot to the touch. Wanting to avoid problems I immediately turned off charging, thinking I'd resume at night when it got cooler. What I"m wondering about is if there is an automatic overheating disconnect. In other words, will it shut itself off if it gets too hot? Anybody know?
It will slow the charging to a crawl, which would not generate much heat at all. So yes?

Following a firmware update to 2020.24.6.9, I started to get an error message "Charging reduced - over heat detected at the wall connector".

After plugging the car into the charger, it charges fine at 32A for 2-3mins then this message pops over, and the charging gets reduced to 16A (15mi/hr). No other error messages apart from this. Normal green T on the car, normal "flowing" green on the wall connector.

Phoning up the service team, their remote diagnosis team concluded that the issue is related to the charger installation, and I should get in touch with the electrician, which I did and then the blaming game started between Tesla and the company which fitted the charger. Tesla has now pulled my car log and are investigating further ! Issue not resolved, and I still get this msg 2-3mins max after plugging the car in.

I started investigating myself, first by having a closer look at the charger itself. It is fitted outside in the shade, the unit is not hot (even after removing the face..yes I had my brave pill and did that!) nor is the connector.

I then went earlier today to a destination charger (a country hotel/pub) which has few Tesla wall chargers available free of use to see if I get the same error. It seems everything is working fine, HOWEVER, this particular charger seems to be installed on 3 phase power, so it is already working on 16A even though it's juicing 45mi/hr..so not really comparable to mine at home, which doesn't trigger this error when I use it on 16A (although mine only gives 15mi/hr as it's installed on a single phase)

Oddly enough, the hotel owner came out, very pleasant lady, saying that there was earlier another guy who was also testing his car for the exact same issue! she says there is hardly anyone using these chargers due to the lockdown and due to the fact that the hotel is still closed for business

To me it's too much of a coincidence that this error only happened the following day of a firmware update + plus the hotel owner's story!

I'm wondering if anybody out here faced this same issue?
Yes, I have exactly the same issue. I also checked out my 14-50 wall socket and the wiring connections. Everything clean. No signs of burning or bad connections. The charging cable gets extremely hot at the Tesla plug and if you unplug, the prongs are so hot they will burn you. Fortunately for me, i have an additional charging cable with the interchangeable plugs that i use for charging at 120 bolts when visiting relatives. I plugged the 14-50 plug in and set it to charge. It defaults to 32 amps and stays at 32 amps for hours and all through the night. Full charge. And, the cable and plug are barely even warm. My conclusion is without doubt, there is a problem with the original charge cable supplied with my model Y. We are following up with Tesla.