Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging regularly from a 10-30 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Blink charger for my Volt and planned to use it for the Tesla as well. I just asked the building engineer about the circuit breaker on the service to my Blink. He said it was a 20 amp breaker. How do I keep the Tesla from treipping the breaker? The Volt would never trip the breaker since it always draws less than 20 amps.

Is the Blink charger not configurable in some way to send a different pilot signal (16A vs. 24A)?

- - - Updated - - -

There is a charging screen in the Tesla - just dial down the amps to 16A. The Tesla will remember that setting for that location (it remembers charging amounts by GPS location).

Most of the time. There were some reports in the upgrade to various 4.x versions where charging current was reset on upgrade. This could result in a tripped breaker if the software updates, loses its setting, then resumes charging once the update is complete.

(This is why you cannot depend upon "dialing down the charge current" as a protection mechanism against overcurrent when using a non-UMC plug adapter or frankencable.)

gg, if Tesla falls though getting you your 10-30, I have a spare (don't ask, long story). LMK if you need it, I was going to return it to Tesla if no one needs it.
Hi Mitch. I would love to have it if no one has claimed it. When I got my Model S Tesla didn't have the 10-30 plug available yet so I swapped the 10-30 outlet in my garage for a 14-50 and manually dialed down the charge rate in the car to 24A. Been working fine for 7 months now but it would be better to have the proper outlet installed again.

I'm happy to PayPal you something for the shipping.

I use a 10-30 at home with no problems. You don't have to dial down the Amps manually, the car will recognize the outlet (once you plug it in) and will dial it down automatically. I use a 14-50 at work and I never worry about the Amps setting, it always switches automatically between the 30 and 50 (which it will charge at 24 and 40 respectively).

I use a 10-30 at home with no problems. You don't have to dial down the Amps manually, the car will recognize the outlet (once you plug it in) and will dial it down automatically. I use a 14-50 at work and I never worry about the Amps setting, it always switches automatically between the 30 and 50 (which it will charge at 24 and 40 respectively).

Right, except strider doesn't have a 10-30 Adapter yet, seems like a 14-50 outlet was installed on a 30A circuit, so the current needs to be manually turned down for now... I'm going to get them my extra 10-30 Model S UMC adapter, and once the outlet s changed back to a 10-30, there will no longer be any need to manually dial down the current.

Right, except strider doesn't have a 10-30 Adapter yet, seems like a 14-50 outlet was installed on a 30A circuit, so the current needs to be manually turned down for now... I'm going to get them my extra 10-30 Model S UMC adapter, and once the outlet s changed back to a 10-30, there will no longer be any need to manually dial down the current.
Yes. I had a 10-30 in my garage but back in December Tesla didn't have 10-30 UMC plugs. So I went to Home Depot and for $5 bought a 14-50 outlet and installed it in place of my 10-30. So with the 14-50 plug on the UMC it defaulted to 40A but the circuit only has wiring and breaker for 24A so I had to manually lower the charge rate.

But Mitch is graciously donating a 10-30 UMC adapter so FlasherZ can sleep better at night :)

Right, I see that now. Makes sense you would need to manually dial it down.

To close the loop on this, a week after moving in, finally cleaned out the garage and plugged into the 10-30. No hiccups at all. Thanks for all the input!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371338527.477253.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371338550.834543.jpg