Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Schedule Needs More Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my X100D on March 26th and have put over 3400 miles on the car. Just loving it.

One thing that is confusing, on such a technology focused and advanced car, is the lack of multiple charge schedules. For example, here in the California Bay Area (PG&E) I am on an EV electric rate plan for my home. The EV plan is the following:

Peak ($0.45/kWh):
2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
3:00 p.m. to 7:00p.m. Saturday, Sunday and Holidays.

Partial-Peak ($0.25/kWh):
7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.

Off-Peak ($0.12/kWh):
All other hours.

My Tesla only has one scheduled charging option. So, I have it "schedule" charging for 11pm. This is because during the week it is the most economic option. I would like it if Tesla added more charging options. For example, on the weekends it would be great if it charged anytime outside of 3pm-7pm.

Anyone else feel the same?

Most owners don't have such detailed electrical rates. Regardless, 11pm is offpeak on weekends too. What's the problem just setting it to charge then so the car always charges overnight? If you arrive home on a weekend during another offpeak and want to start charging earlier for some reason, just turn off scheduled charging and the car will start charging then.

Picked up my X100D on March 26th and have put over 3400 miles on the car. Just loving it.

One thing that is confusing, on such a technology focused and advanced car, is the lack of multiple charge schedules. For example, here in the California Bay Area (PG&E) I am on an EV electric rate plan for my home. The EV plan is the following:

Peak ($0.45/kWh):

7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays.

Off-Peak ($0.12/kWh):
All other hours.

My Tesla only has one scheduled charging option. So, I have it "schedule" charging for 11pm. This is because during the week it is the most economic option. I would like it if Tesla added more charging options. For example, on the weekends it would be great if it charged anytime outside of 3pm-7pm.

I don't get this either. The car already estimates charging time +/- 5 minutes. Whats the problem with setting a charge end time? I have the same complex EV rate and it would be nice to set allowed charge start times, or rather when NOT to charge (overriding it is always easy to do). This would have helped me a couple days ago. I typically only drive 40-50 miles a day so I have the schedule start at 4am, to be "warm" when I leave for work, but since I had came home the previous night with my battery down to 6%, it wasn't charged by the time I left for work the next day, and it continued to charge in to my higher EV rate (double my cheap rate). My fault I know for not setting the schedule again, but it seems like all the information is already there..

Attachments

• evpge _rate.JPG
    evpge _rate.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 78

Peak ($0.45/kWh):

Off-Peak ($0.12/kWh):
All other hours.

Dunno...seems pretty simple, i.e. set the start time at 11pm every night and call it...a day.

I don't get this either. The car already estimates charging time +/- 5 minutes. Whats the problem with setting a charge end time? I have the same complex EV rate and it would be nice to set allowed charge start times, or rather when NOT to charge (overriding it is always easy to do). This would have helped me a couple days ago. I typically only drive 40-50 miles a day so I have the schedule start at 4am, to be "warm" when I leave for work, but since I had came home the previous night with my battery down to 6%, it wasn't charged by the time I left for work the next day, and it continued to charge in to my higher EV rate (double my cheap rate). My fault I know for not setting the schedule again, but it seems like all the information is already there..
So set it to start charging at 11 pm, not 4 am. There is no reason to have the battery "warm" when you leave for work. No one else's is.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
I would just like an option to set a time charging should finish and have it figure out when it needs to start. :D;)

+1 for sure!

Living in a somewhat colder climate, it would be very useful to be able to start in the morning with a warm battery and not have to do calculations the night before.

Also for range charging to minimize the time battery need to be at 100%.

Living in a somewhat colder climate, it would be very useful to be able to start in the morning with a warm battery and not have to do calculations the night before.
I agree. We schedule both Teslas to finish up right when we leave for work in the morning so that the battery is warmed up and regen isn't as limited as it would be if we'd finished charging several hours earlier.