Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging screen "payment method required" button doesn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently a red button popped up on my Charging Screen labeled "payment method required." It has an > to the right of it which seems to indicate I could tap on the button to go to another screen. Nothing happens when I tap the button. I have updated my card on the website, and also updated to version xxx3e5a2863. Tried rebooting twice after the update. Will this prevent me from using a Supercharger? If so, I need to resolve ASAP.

Attachments

• Charging method required.JPG
    Charging method required.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 2,220
A few weeks ago, I supercharged my car, and got the same message you're getting. I went to tesla.com, logged in, and clicked on 'History' to check what happened. The charge consumed some of the free supercharging miles I currently have, so I'm not sweating it.

I don't think you'd have anything to worry about unless if your history shows payment issues.

I've seen a thread or two on this, and I remember people saying that button on the screen never did seem to work for actually entering or changing the payment information. The way to get it fixed was to go to your account on Tesla's actual website with a computer, and then you can manage your info and make sure you have a valid credit or debit card on file there. That should be what makes this button/warning go away. But if you've checked that, and it looks right, but the warning is still there, that's probably some system/account issue that Tesla would need to look into.

I've seen a thread or two on this, and I remember people saying that button on the screen never did seem to work for actually entering or changing the payment information. The way to get it fixed was to go to your account on Tesla's actual website with a computer, and then you can manage your info and make sure you have a valid credit or debit card on file there. That should be what makes this button/warning go away. But if you've checked that, and it looks right, but the warning is still there, that's probably some system/account issue that Tesla would need to look into.

Cause that's not a button. You can't mess with your account in the car. You have to go to tesla.com.

Cause that's not a button. You can't mess with your account in the car. You have to go to tesla.com.
Really? I recall from the other thread someone saying they had used that button, and it opened up a window to enter the credit card information, and they entered it there in the car, and completed the form there, but it didn't seem to actually update to their real account on the website.

It’s not a button. You need to fix in your Tesla account from a browser.
I already went into my Tesla account from my browser and checked. The first time I saw that my credit card had expired so I updated the information and waited a week or so. The notice is still there on the charging screen. I logged again from my computer just to confirm that my payment information is up to date. Seems like something Tesla will have to address.

Really? I recall from the other thread someone saying they had used that button, and it opened up a window to enter the credit card information, and they entered it there in the car, and completed the form there, but it didn't seem to actually update to their real account on the website.

Right. I read that also before I posted this. You can tap that "button" or "notice" all you want and nothing happens.

Any update on this? This just happened to us on a road trip and we need to charge or we will be stranded. Popped up right after we disconnected from the previous supercharger. Have tried to change credit cards in account and still nothing. Tried rebooting and nothing. Went into history and doesn't show any payment is needed. Help!??

I originated this thread. My problem was solved by calling Tesla Service, although I might have been better off if I didn't call. Turns out I had gotten credit for free charging when I referred a potential driver. He later decided not to buy a Tesla but something got stuck in the system and I was able to use Superchargers at no charge. There were other small charges on my Tesla account so I didn't realize I was getting free charging. So as a result of my calling they "fixed" the software issue and the screen cleared the next time I used a Supercharger. And now I am being charged for my use. "You should be careful what you ask for..."

I originated this thread. My problem was solved by calling Tesla Service, although I might have been better off if I didn't call. Turns out I had gotten credit for free charging when I referred a potential driver. He later decided not to buy a Tesla but something got stuck in the system and I was able to use Superchargers at no charge. There were other small charges on my Tesla account so I didn't realize I was getting free charging. So as a result of my calling they "fixed" the software issue and the screen cleared the next time I used a Supercharger. And now I am being charged for my use. "You should be careful what you ask for..."

I'd take that at this point over not being able to charge at all. Thanks for the update.

My "payment method required" message finally went away once I supercharged my car again, and the session said it costs a certain amount of money but I confirmed via tesla.com that they subtracted from my free supercharging miles instead of my credit card.