Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The number of charging sessions for an EV's battery pack, regardless of your SoC and routine charging limit, have affect on battery life. Can we discuss this issue in light of Tesla recommendations to Plug in to a TWC every night?

Why to avoid high powered DC chargers for your routine charging needs, if you have a choice or not on a long road trip?

What are your thoughts about the recommendations below?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230519-201950.png
    Screenshot_20230519-201950.png
    269.7 KB · Views: 91
The number of charging sessions for an EV's battery pack, regardless of your SoC and routine charging limit, have affect on battery life.

I think you may have misinterpreted something somewhere along the way.

You can think of a battery like a sponge. If you squeeze it gently to get water out, and pour water onto slowly to add water in, you can effectively do that forever with little to no degradation. But if you mash it and wring it hard you might tear it. The same is true if you blast water at it from a high pressure sprayer.

Think about solar panel installations with battery systems. They have multiple start and stop charging sessions every day as the clouds pass by.

What that attached chart says is "drive less to put less wear on your battery". But EVs are expensive and the way you get your moneys worth is using them to replace gasoline vehicles on existing routes which involve many miles per day. It's all about cost per mile to operate, and operating a LOT of miles. Charge at home at consumer electricity prices where it's cheap. My Model Y per mile cost is 1/3 that of my sisters' similar Toyotas. I drive upwards of 100 miles per day at $0.04/mile, and over 20,000 miles per year. My sisters' cars are closer to $0.14/mile so I'm saving $2,000/year just in fuel costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: HMHM
Totally agree with your logic. However, the cost is only low if you are charging at home. At public DC chargers, the cost/mile difference between ICEV and EV is insignificant.

Think about solar panel installations with battery systems. They have multiple start and stop charging sessions every day as the clouds pass by.

The C rate of the solar battery storage system is generally below 1C which is a safe charging rate that doesn't adversely affect a battery's lifespan. The metadata points to high C rates as a key factor in battery degradation.

I feel like that's pretty well established, and simultaneously refuted regularly.
I have not seen any research refuting it. High C rates used frequently, such as at a Supercharger, can lead to higher and faster degradation. Even Tesla tells you to use home charging with TWC for routine daily driving, and only use the DC fast charging when needed for a long road trip.

Reactions: DrChaos