Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Set up in Garage Without the Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone willing to share some photos on how they have their charging equipment set up in the garage for those that just use the charging equipment that comes with the car (and not the wall connector)?

I'm trying to figure out how to set it up so that the plug is always connected to the Nema 14-50 outlet, but without the wires dangling on the garage floor.

IMG_7090.jpg

I used a small bike hook to hold the charger proper and then a couple other hooks to keep things aligned. Note that I had the Nema 14-50 installed sideways so that the cable would run horizontally. My panel is directly below the outlet and my easy choices were to have it installed above or below the panel and above seemed like the cleaner option given the other stuff I had below. This pic might show you the hooks a bit better.
IMG_7432.jpg

I hadn't even thought about installing the outlet higher up, but it makes sense since it's out of the way. I also hadn't even considered having the outlet installed sideways, but that makes perfect sense as well. I'm so glad I put this post up to get some ideas.

Thanks for both of your contributions.

Reactions: MarkKW
I bought it from a member here...he was making them for a while on a CNC machine. it looks like a perfect fit because it is, it's designed to hold the charger.

This set-up has worked well for me for almost 2 years. The hook you can buy from tesla. I put the sticker on it.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Some people also use bicycle water bottle holders mounted on the wall. They're about the right fit for the charging block.
That's what I use, works great - I had an old aluminum water bottle cage that was otherwise sitting in the closet unused. I cut the horizontal bar so the UMC can easily be removed without threading the cable back through the cage. Pics of my low cost no-frills setup below.

To hold the other end of the UMC cable when not charging the car, I use a $6 garden hose hanger. The middle of the cable is kept off the floor with a screw-on coat/hat hook, also salvaged from my hardware/junk bin. Ain't pretty but neither is the garage, and it works.

DSC07842.JPG

DSC07844.JPG

DSC07841.JPG

I hesitate to post this (and certainly no pictures), but my "installation" is a bit different. First, I cannot back into the garage (steep driveway that BARELY clears with air suspension on high). Second, I park on the right side of garage due to infrequent use, and because the house door is on the left with lots of shelving. Third, the Leaf parks on the left side so that the EVSEUpgrade can reach the dryer plug when needed. Fourth, I decided NOT to install 240 V power since my electrical panel is about 75 ft away, in the basement, through two 8" concrete walls and some crawl space. Finally, unfortunately, the closest receptacle is next to the right front wheel. Thus, I attach the EVSE brick to a hanging bicycle with disposable twist ties (not zip ties), run the cord over the car through a strategically-placed bicycle hook, then to a bungee cord attched to another bicycle hook. This affords me JUST enough length to plug in. The added benefit is that I can hang the cord without hitting the ground as well as drive the car in/out without hitting the hanging cord. I've tried several different methods, including extension cords, but this seems to work the best for my situation.

Reactions: MarkKW
Anyone willing to share some photos on how they have their charging equipment set up in the garage for those that just use the charging equipment that comes with the car (and not the wall connector)?

I'm trying to figure out how to set it up so that the plug is always connected to the Nema 14-50 outlet, but without the wires dangling on the garage floor.

The Tesla online store sells a wire hanger that looks cool and works well -- check it out!