Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging setup advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I have a 2023 standard range 3. and my beliefs and questions are:
1) My understanding is that the max charge rate is limited to 32 amps by the car whether using the mobile or wall charger. That being the case, it would be pointless installing a 60 amp breaker in the main panel. The main panel is a SC816F200, so a 40 amp double pole breaker would work just fine, using the 80% rule.
2) Given that I will be using my mobile charger until I get around to installing the wall charger, any trash Nema 14-50 outlet will do (expecting wall charger in the next 6-8 months).
3) What material should the conduit be, plastic or metal? The run will be about 35 feet from the main breaker. It will be outside. Plastic is offers insulation from the heat of the sun, metal could conduct heat away to keep electrical loss low, but does not paint well.
4) Should I upgrade wire from 6 to 4? Is power loss that significant over 35 feet?

Appreciate any advice or experience the community has to offer. :)

opps, just realized I am in the wrong forum...😅

Reactions: DerbyDave
OP:

#1: I believe you are correct, a non-long range Model 3 in North America has a 7.7KWH OBC. 32 amps is correct.

#2 This is opinion driven. I used a Leviton w/no problems, but lots of folks underwire, don't take care w/connections, and are surprised when things get hot. A cheap 14-50 chould be used w/60C wire gauge for the capacity you've in mind. I would not run wire to 75C rated capacity w/a cheaper receptacle.

#3: I just did something similar and elected to use gray PVC because I can form it to exactly what I wanted (boiling water). My choice was driven by "how will it look", "what will it cost" and "how much hassle difference is there". In that order. YMMV.

#4 Since you're running conduit I would run #6 THHN and install a 75C rated 60 amp breaker, and install the wall charger. If that's well down the road then do same, use a 50 amp breaker, and terminate in a 14-50. I would not run 40A continuous through it though with a cheap breaker.

#5: Power loss over distance is mostly a non-factor. At #6 it's a non-issue.

Why more than you need now? Why not? Things change, and if nothing else the next guy would appreciate it. It will also run cooler and lose less (not much of a factor).

Here are a few links to help you:

Luck to you,

-d

Reactions: Whoze
Upvote 0
OP:

#1: I believe you are correct, a non-long range Model 3 in North America has a 7.7KWH OBC. 32 amps is correct.

#2 This is opinion driven. I used a Leviton w/no problems, but lots of folks underwire, don't take care w/connections, and are surprised when things get hot. A cheap 14-50 chould be used w/60C wire gauge for the capacity you've in mind. I would not run wire to 75C rated capacity w/a cheaper receptacle.

#3: I just did something similar and elected to use gray PVC because I can form it to exactly what I wanted (boiling water). My choice was driven by "how will it look", "what will it cost" and "how much hassle difference is there". In that order. YMMV.

#4 Since you're running conduit I would run #6 THHN and install a 75C rated 60 amp breaker, and install the wall charger. If that's well down the road then do same, use a 50 amp breaker, and terminate in a 14-50. I would not run 40A continuous through it though with a cheap breaker.

Why more than you need now? Why not? Things change, and if nothing else the next guy would appreciate it. It will also run cooler and lose less (not much of a factor).

Luck to you,

-d
I have an external meter main supply panel that is solar-ready, and an internal subpanel in the garage for the rest of the house. Since it will be an outside outlet, it has to be GFCI. It will be Schnieder homeline main breaker and the GFCI ones only go up to 50 amp. The original plan was to install an external outlet for mixed-use - power tool usage, EV charging, etc. Once the garage gets fixed, the true EV station would be inside. With Tesla's built-in GFCI wall charger, a straight 60 amp breaker could be added to the subpanel. But it looks like I may have to install the wall charger outside after all, then move it later.
OP:

Luck to you,

-d
Lots of good info there. Thanks a bunch!

Upvote 0