Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Setup for Rental Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I rent a house out in the middle of nowhere - and I’m about to order a Model Y.

The nearest Supercharger is 50 miles away so I will definitely want a rapid charging option at home. But I’m not sure it would be a good idea to install a Tesla Wall Connector given I am renting. My landlord will likely not have a problem with it, but I am planning on moving within the next year or so.

Because of my plans to move, I’m thinking a better (maybe cheaper, too?) option is to just install a NEMA 6-50 circuit and get the adapter.

Does that make sense? Or is it possible (or even easy) to take a Wall Connector with you when you move.

The Adviser I just spoke to about my scheduled test drive said that a 14-50 will charge faster than a 6-50. Doesn’t make any sense to me ...... but I thought I’d check anyway. Seems like if if you have 240 volts and 50 amps, the plug and the presence of the 120 volt line option wouldn’t make any difference in how many watts you’re gonna get.

🧐 🤨

Anything wrong with my reasoning?

The Adviser I just spoke to about my scheduled test drive said that a 14-50 will charge faster than a 6-50. Doesn’t make any sense to me ...... but I thought I’d check anyway. Seems like if if you have 240 volts and 50 amps, the plug and the presence of the 120 volt line option wouldn’t make any difference in how many watts you’re gonna get.

🧐 🤨

Anything wrong with my reasoning?
You are correct. The power available is calculated as Volts X Amps; 240V X 50A = 12000W. When charging an EV the 80% amperage rule applies so 40A instead of 50A; the maximum available power is 9600W. (The 80% limit always applies when charging EVs.) The 14-50 and the 6-50 are both 50A circuits; the 14-50 has a neutral connection while the 6-50 does not have a neutral connection.

The Tesla Shop provides a table on the page where you can select, order power plug adapters for the Gen 2 Mobile Connector. The miles per hour when charging the different Tesla vehicles with the 14-50 plug adapter and the 6-50 plug adapter are the same.

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Last edited:
Either a 14-50 and 6-50 would work well in this scenario. If it's a short distance to the electric panel, the cost difference is trivial.

Three things to consider: First, Tesla makes a version of the UMC with a fixed 14-50 connector, that goes up to 40 amps (standard v2 UMC goes to 32 amps). With your long commute, it might be nice to get a few more amps. Second, 14-50 is a very common standard for RVs, and is commonly used by many EVSEs. VS. a 6-50 which is only really used for welders and some EVSEs. Third, it easy get a converter cable from 14-50 to 6-50, since all it does is drop the neutral. One can't really go the other way though, since many 14-50 loads (like RVs) expect there to be a functional neutral.

So if your wire run will be short, I'd recommend the 14-50, it'll be more future proof. Especially for a rental property, when one doesn't know who the next user will be.

Corded mobile connector is $520. HPWC is $500. Unless you travel a lot to places with 14-50 receptacles (rv parks) that is a lot of money to pay for 40A vs 32A charging. For home, buy the HPWC and you can do 48A if you can run a 60A circuit. Very easy to disconnect and replace with a receptacle when you have to move. If you don’t need the extra 16A, put in whatever receptacles matches the largest size breaker/receptacle you can install and use the UMC that comes with the car. Save $500.

All the charging advice and options - but what does the garage have already?
And where is the panel? Capacity of the panel! Can you add a double pole breaker?

As a landlord myself - I’d be cool w splitting the costs of the install of a new NEMA 14-50 outlet as mentioned earlier - more possibilities for future tenants.

I would not be okay with a splitter running off the dryer. That smells trouble.

And where is the panel? Capacity of the panel! Can you add a double pole breaker?

As a landlord myself - I’d be cool w splitting the costs of the install of a new NEMA 14-50 outlet as mentioned earlier - more possibilities for future tenants.

There is no trouble with a dryer buddy. Either the dryer works or the EVSE works. There is no in between otherwise it wouldn't be approved or meet code.

There is no trouble with a dryer buddy. Either the dryer works or the EVSE works. There is no in between otherwise it wouldn't be approved or meet code.
Don't say that, because that's not true. Many people buy a Dryer Buddy, and it does not do either of those things. This is my main gripe with the Dryer Buddy--their main product that they advertise and sell doesn't do that, but it's not explained well or made clear on their site.

The standard Dryer Buddy is just a strictly double wired "Y" kind of splitter. You'd better be careful to know what is going to run when--dangerous.

The "PLUS" version of the product does have a manual toggle switch you can flip to make sure only one side is active, but that's a little cumbersome to have to go and flip it when you want to use the other thing.

The "PLUS AUTO" version is the one you are talking about, where it has the auto sensing and will dynamically flip from one to the other for you. And therefore that is the only one I will recommend people to get. But that is a little obscure for people to know and understand those differences to choose the right one instead of just the standard Dryer Buddy.

Panel is right next to where car will be parked. Plenty of room inside for another breaker. Only unknown is whether or not there’s enough capacity for an additional 50A circuit. And I have a cool landlord.

So I’ll be requesting a covered NEMA 14-50 RV plug ..... right next to the panel (where there is already a NEMA 5-15) and then compromise my way down to 30A or 20A if limited by panel capacity.

Thanks for the excellent discussion and advice everyone!