Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Setup for Rental Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't say that, because that's not true. Many people buy a Dryer Buddy, and it does not do either of those things. This is my main gripe with the Dryer Buddy--their main product that they advertise and sell doesn't do that, but it's not explained well or made clear on their site.

The standard Dryer Buddy is just a strictly double wired "Y" kind of splitter. You'd better be careful to know what is going to run when--dangerous.

The "PLUS" version of the product does have a manual toggle switch you can flip to make sure only one side is active, but that's a little cumbersome to have to go and flip it when you want to use the other thing.

The "PLUS AUTO" version is the one you are talking about, where it has the auto sensing and will dynamically flip from one to the other for you. And therefore that is the only one I will recommend people to get. But that is a little obscure for people to know and understand those differences to choose the right one instead of just the standard Dryer Buddy.
Thanks for catching that. I didn't realize they sell one that violates code. I apologize for not fully spelling out what I said. If you buy and install the original dryer buddy, it will not be to code. Ask any electrician if you can have a dryer outlet and a full load EVSE on the same circuit without some type of disconnect or load sharing. No, that will not pass code. Just because you can buy the device doesn't mean it will pass code (again, they shouldn't sell something that violates code). If you buy a regular dryer buddy and install it yourself with out proper permits/codes then you might as well just run a set of wires from the back of the outlet to your evse. If you do it right it is not possible to install and original Dryer Buddy. They should be ashamed to sell them.

That is because when charging any EV the circuit's maximum amperage has to be derated to 80%; 80% of 30A is 24A.
Correct. I was just pointing out that if someone uses this device they cannot charge their Model Y at its 32 amp AC maximum. Plus it is way overpriced for what it provides, and inconvenient to use due to the switch. I can think of no good reason to buy this unless one absolutely needs to share an existing 10-30 outlet. Otherwise, it is a much better option to install a 6-50 or 14-50 outlet as others have said.

Landlord agreed to install a 50Amp circuit with a NEMA14-50 outlet. Didn’t even hesitate. Should be all set by the time my new car is here.

Nice.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I just helped someone through this scenario. Make sure that the 14-50 charging receptacle is installed in a location where the charging cord of the Tesla Mobile Connector is able to reach the charging port on the Tesla Model Y (any Tesla.)

Things to know:

The charging port on the Tesla is on the driver's side at the corner of the rear quarter panel, near the taillight (height from the floor is approx. 40 inches.)

In some states, counties the building code requires that electrical receptacles, switches in garages be installed at least 48 inches above the floor. In other locations I have read that the receptacles can be installed at 24 inches height.

The usable length of the Tesla Mobile Connector charging cord is as measured (by me) 18ft, 8 inches (Tesla states this as 20ft but they count the Mobile Connector chassis and the charging handle/connector. After accounting for the height of the receptacle from the floor and the height of the charging port from the garage floor/ground there may only be 13.5 ft of reach left in the charging cord.

If you normally back into a garage to park, will be backing into the garage to charge the Mobile Connector charging cord will be able to reach the charging port even if the 14-50 receptacle is installed at the rear wall of the garage.

If you want to park facing forward in the garage the 14-50 receptacle should be placed on either the left side or right side of the garage (closest to the electrical panel), the side where you will park if it is a two car garage. If the receptacle is located approximately 4 feet from the garage door(s) then the charging cord should be able to reach the charging port on the driver's side of the Tesla with no issue.

If for some reason the receptacle must be installed at the back of the garage then you will have to either back into the garage to charge or use non-Tesla electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE.) Everyone calls this charging cord set the charger but in fact it is correctly called the EVSE. (The charger is, in fact, inside the vehicle close to the battery pack and looped into the Tesla's cooling system.)

You can purchase, use a non-Tesla EVSE when charging a Tesla as these typically can be purchased with a 24 ft or 25 ft charging cord. The extra length can really make it or break it when charging in a typical garage. All Tesla vehicles come with a Tesla J1772 adapter. You would use the J1772 adapter when charging using any public charging station. (I use the J1772 adapter at home because the Tesla Mobile Connector charging cord was too short for my needs. I had the 14-50 receptacle installed back in 2016 when I had a Chevy Volt. The Volt's charging port is located on the right fender just in front of the driver's door. Also, the EVSE I was using to charge the Volt has a 25 ft charging cord and was able to reach the Tesla's charging port. (I used the EVSE I had installed with the Volt for about a month, then swapped it for one that would enable charging at 32 amps (the Volt only would ever draw a maximum of 16 amps.) The 32 amp capable EVSE I purchased has a 25 ft charging cord.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverGoingBack
Also make sure it is installed with the ground up.

A4866B0C-4CF0-4B32-923B-2013A0418E41.png

Also make sure it is installed with the ground up.

View attachment 652642
View attachment 652642
View attachment 652642
What portion of the NEC are you citing when stating that the receptacle must be installed in the orientation shown in the photo? After consulting with a Master Electrician, others and from my own experience the orientation of the receptacle in a home installation is not specified. The orientation of the receptacle is specified with the ground pin at 12 O'clock when the receptacle is installed in a hospital environment. (The 50A circuit that I had the electrician install in my garage has the 14-50 receptacle oriented with the ground pin at 9 O'clock (because I wanted it done that way) was inspected, approved by the county inspector.)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
What portion of the NEC are you citing when stating that the receptacle must be installed in the orientation shown in the photo? After consulting with a Master Electrician, others and from my own experience the orientation of the receptacle in a home installation is not specified.
It is not code, it is convenience, you can put the ground plug any direction you wish. The Tesla 14-50 adapter has the ground plug at the top assuming a typical installation where the MC hangs below (typically in a mounting bracket). Often electricians will by default install the 14-50 with the ground plug down. I did assume a typical use of the MC, so your point is well taken. @ps83v18 should consider how he will mount the MC and advise the electrician accordingly.

It is not code, it is convenience, you can put the ground plug any direction you wish. The Tesla 14-50 adapter has the ground plug at the top assuming a typical installation where the MC hangs below (typically in a mounting bracket). Often electricians will by default install the 14-50 with the ground plug down. I did assume a typical use of the MC, so your point is well taken. @ps83v18 should consider how he will mount the MC and advise the electrician accordingly.
Good advice, guys. My research roamings had left me with the same thinking ..... ground pin up so everything hangs down and I can add a bracket to support it. It will be outside, in a carport, real close to the main box, so I’ll ask for a covered receptacle.

Need to do some measuring to ensure the cord will reach. The outlet will be on the wall to the right of the right tail light when parked front-in. Hoping the cord will run under the back end of the car and reach the charge port on the other side.

Two links you should check out, if you have not already done so:

The adapter page, just select the 14-50 and note the size of the plug for the covered receptacle

Tesla’s cable organizer

Reactions: jcanoe
Is the area of the car port where the receptacle will be installed covered, shielded from the weather? An outdoor receptacle can never be fully sealed from water intrusion. Also, the Tesla Mobile Connector User Manual contains conflicting information. On the specification page the manual states that the Mobile Connector is rated NEMA 4 (for use is all weather conditions, wet conditions.) In another part of the manual it states that the Mobile Connector should not be exposed to water, rain etc.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverGoingBack
I'm not that familiar with the NEMA 3, 4 weather ratings. I have only seen NEMA 4 spec'd for an EVSE when referring to the EVSE chassis (totally sealed against water, even water sprayed from a hose) and a hard wired power connection.

Why not install a 6-50 outlet rather than 14-50? The 6-50 has no neutral and can be installed using 2 conductor wire rather than 3 which is less expensive. The Tesla 6-50 adapter is also cheaper.