Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Setup for Rental Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right about the 6-50 only requiring 2 wires. There are examples of EVSE that use the 6-50 plug but not as many as offer the 14-50. Since this is a carport installation I would suggest the Wall Connector as it is fully weather rated, designed for hard wire installation and requires only 2 wires.

Why not install a 6-50 outlet rather than 14-50?
Could do ...... but my understanding is the 14-50 is typical for RV hookups. So:
  1. The adapter I have to buy will also work on the road if I need/want to recharge at an RV park
  2. My landlord ends up with an RV hookup that might be appealing to the next tenant or buyer
And ..... not my money being spent ...... landlord is installing it for me.

@ps83v18

I think you have a good plan, especially as you are not paying for it! One suggestion, since you are not paying for the circuit / outlet after it is installed consider replacing the outlet with a Tesla Wall Charger.

1. You will charge at 40A instead of 32A
  2. The Wall Unit is approved for exterior installations
  3. You can keep the MC that comes with the car in the car - if you leave the MC in your parking spot when you are not home it could be stolen and, while you can put in MC in the the car whenever you leave, I believe 240v outlets are not designed to have plugs inserted and removed on a daily basis.
  4. When Tesla enables Wi-Fi you will likely be able to remotely enable / disable the unit
  5. When you leave the complex you can remove the Wall Unit and reinstall the 14-50 outlet

Those are all good points. In this case since it is a rental property the wider utility of having a 14-50 receptacle that can be used for charging a non-Tesla vehicle and for an RV is the better option. It is true that most 14-50 receptacles are not designed, intended for a high number of plug and unplug cycles. Perhaps the Tesla Mobile Connector can be camouflaged with a planter or a recycling bin.

Why does the Tesla Wall Charger allow 40 amps rather than just 32 like the Mobile Connector on the same circuit?
Good question. Tesla limited the maximum charging amperage of the Gen2 Mobile Connector to a maximum of 32 amps after there were several fires reported with the Gen1 Mobile Connector when used with the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter. The Gen1 Mobile Connector is capable of charging at up to 40 amps when used with the 14-50 plug adapter.

If you look on the Tesla Store under Charging you will see a corded Mobile Connector. This version of the Mobile Connector is capable of supporting 40 amps. (The difference is that the power plug connection on the corded Mobile Connector is permanently wired, not a modular plug.) The standard Tesla Mobile Connector that supports interchangeable power plugs is limited to 32 amps. The additional interconnect where the power plug adapter connects to the Mobile Connector chassis is the reason why the standard Mobile Connector is limited to 32 amps. It is possible that the wire gauge used in the corded Mobile Connector is heavier than the gauge used in the standard Mobile Connector.

Last edited:
And it costs more than the Wall Connector!
The cost is higher because it is a low volume product. I would be interested in purchasing the corded Mobile Connector if it had a charging cord that was at least 24 feet in length. Tesla's description states NEMA-14-50 corded mobile connector (with 20’ cable.) This is misleading because the length of the charging cord is just over 18 feet as with the standard Mobile Connector. The additional length includes the mobile connector chassis and the charging connector. If Tesla ever sells a corded Mobile Connector with a 24 foot long charging cord, even if limited to a maximum or 32 amps, I would choose that hypothetical version of the Mobile Connector versus the current corded Mobile Connector.