Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging sickness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I sit in my 2020 Model 3 while supercharging, I feel my neck start to tense up and my eyes feel really heavy. I also can feel quite a bit of pressure in my chest. Is there anyone else on here that feels this or even something similar? I thought at first it might just be me but I had 3 friends come with me, didn’t mention anything to them, and all 3 commented and felt the same or very similar things. I’m just curious if it’s just my car and if I should take it in?

When I sit in my 2020 Model 3 while supercharging, I feel my neck start to tense up and my eyes feel really heavy. I also can feel quite a bit of pressure in my chest. Is there anyone else on here that feels this or even something similar? I thought at first it might just be me but I had 3 friends come with me, didn’t mention anything to them, and all 3 commented and felt the same or very similar things. I’m just curious if it’s just my car and if I should take it in?
Stop smoking a doobie while your charging…

Upvote 0
I feel the same way in the moments just prior to farting.

Upvote 0
IMO, it’ll be interesting to see someone replace their car upholstery and seat filling with lead wool. And a lead driving blanket. It’s gonna wreck the miles per kWh though.

Upvote 0
This could be due to fumes from a nearby building exhaust, gas storage tank vent, or ICE parking garage or idling ICE vehicles nearby. Check at other Supercharging locations in case it is only this one with the issue.

Upvote 0
You too? Finally, someone who has had the same experience! When this first started happening, I adjusted the peak on my tinfoil hat to point north and sent a message to Captain Zorg on the mothership asking him to adjust my magnetron. I'm happy to report that all is good now. Well, except for the rainbow noises coming from my belt buckle but I suspect that is unrelated.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
OP,

In all seriousness, you need to do some troubleshooting if you and your passengers are truly experiencing symptoms when charging. Try going to a different supercharger for starters and see if you have the same issue. If so, step outside the vehicle like someone else suggested. The more you can rule out certain conditions, the more helpful it will be for Tesla service. The other thing I was thinking.....when you supercharge, the vehicle's A/C compressor will turn on to cool the pack. If you have a refrigerant leak, that could also potentially explain some of your symptoms.

Upvote 0
It sounds like you’re describing electromagnetic hypersensitivity, which is a psychosomatic condition caused by the perceived presence of electromagnetic fields. Studies have shown that people with such a sensitivity generally lose their symptoms as soon as they’re reliably informed that the “field” has been disabled, regardless of whether any change has been made. The character Chuck from Better Call Saul is an example of someone portraying this condition.

Psychiatric treatment is usually helpful in the management of perceived symptoms. I don’t say this to insult you; I genuinely hope you can get what you need for the feelings to abate.

Upvote 0
I love the tin foil replies here. I searched this thread because I always feel weird when k supercharge. 2016 90D. Getting out and walking around helps. I get a weird anxiety feeling. My head feels disconnected like I have a concussion (which I’ve had plenty of).

I do feel like maybe it’s all in my head so to speak, but it’s not like I’m in a rush to get somewhere or something. I don’t know. Call me crazy all you want.

This does not happen while at a ChargePoint charger. It’s weird is all I’m saying.

Upvote 0
A less drastic response might be: do not systematically infer that your feeling is because of charging. @Tranquil Rage has it pretty much written out. You need to do a lot of diagnosing, eliminating variables one by one, until you find the one that causes this. Might be the charging but it might also be something completely different. Similar method to all sorts of other illnesses / bad feelings. Inferring without a scientific approach of isolating variables will rarely give the right answer.

Upvote 0
Yes. I have weird sensation too while super charging.

Reactions: Catbiscuits
Upvote 0