Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging slowed to a trickle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can’t get 6 kW from charging via 120 volt.

You have changed your display from miles to battery percentage. You were previously getting 6 MPH charging, which equals about 1 kW. Same super slow charging rate, just displayed differently.

As noted above, with 120 volt charging it can heat the battery or charge it, but not both at the same time. If it is below freezing for an extended period of time while plugged into 120 volt, you may see the battery state-of-charge decrease as it is not able to keep the battery warm enough to allow charging.

I've seen people make this units mistake in a few threads here on this forum. This thread reads almost exactly like yours:
110v Charging Rate Changed

As @Acps110 correctly figured out, you didn't pay attention to the units of your charging speed number when the number changed. You were not getting 6kW from a regular wall outlet--that's not possible. That was 6 miles per hour. When it switched to about 1, that was 1 kW, which is about the power level of that outlet. And yes, that toggle does come from if you change the display settings from showing "Distance" or "Energy".

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Hmm, maybe display is different on Model 3.
But both the App and Screen in the Car show BOTH watts/hour AND miles per hour charge rates. Maybe there is another spot I’m forgetting that shows one or the other.

Hmm, maybe display is different on Model 3.
But both the App and Screen in the Car show BOTH watts/hour AND miles per hour charge rates. Maybe there is another spot I’m forgetting that shows one or the other.
I'm not near the car right now and I'm done charging so the Android smartphone app doesn't tell me anything right now. But I'll take a closer look at the screen next time I'm in the car. Thanks.

Also trickle charging and having a similar issue regardless of whether I'm on Miles/range or %/battery. Sometimes it will say 5 minutes remaining even though it should say like 20 hours. Sometimes it says 24 hours+ remaining. Also it allows me to set the amps from 5 to 11, yet when I change the amps it doesn't increase the charge. Usually says 0 or 1 kw or 0-3 mph charged. Seems lower than it was a few weeks ago. Seemed to have changed after I had a loose connection at the charger adapter causing a 5 red light error (which I fixed). Is there some sort of reset required at the car? Tesla 3.