TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging solution with spider box (pics of installation)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Musterion, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

I've held off installing the HPWC until it is clear how the fixed version will be distributed. In the meantime I intended anyway to keep a 50A circuit as backup, so I've now installed it with an inline spider box that can sit in my garage and do Tesla charging, or else can be taken outside on 75 ft. cord for powering tools when working outside away from power outlets and the house. The length was chosen to balance outdoor usage and voltage drop (although I could take it out of line, it is convenient to keep coiled up in garage near garage door so easy to use when needed). In addition I get some 20A receptacles and a 30A twist-lock when needed. The installation involved all off-the-shelf parts: cords and receptacles from eBay and Amazon; modular mounting hardware from Home Depot. I standardized around the 'California-Standard' 50A ship-to-shore twist-lock system and can also hook up without the spider box in line if desired. The main circuit is protected by dedicated breaker and panel, and the spider box has its own internal breakers plus GFI for the 20A circuits, in NEMA-3R outdoor rated roll cage.

System charging:
    photo 1 scrub.JPG

Closeup of UMC:
    photo 2 scrub.JPG

2. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

Updated with Tesla Cable Organizer (modded to movable track mount). Works great and I haven't had the problem of the wand part falling out that others have experienced, maybe because I could optimize the mount angle?

photo 1 scrub.JPG