Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speed at home - 2022 M3 RWD (SR)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Team,
Finally got my 2022 M3, RWD (SR+) yesterday ... OMG, love it! I am still waiting for my app to be unlocked.

Last night I have connected it to regular plug charging for 10 hours .. and got about 25% charged up ... is this normal? I have locked the car overnight (and this turned the charging light off).
This is only about 100km/ 10 hrs charging ... feels low..

Hi Team,
Finally got my 2022 M3, RWD (SR+) yesterday ... OMG, love it! I am still waiting for my app to be unlocked.

Last night I have connected it to regular plug charging for 10 hours .. and got about 25% charged up ... is this normal? I have locked the car overnight (and this turned the charging light off).
This is only about 100km/ 10 hrs charging ... feels low..
Yes, I think I got about 10-11km an hour on the 3 pin plug, with my wall charger I get about 50 km per hour.

Yeah 3-pin charging is like 2kw/h. 8A whereas the wall charger can go 32A 8kw/h.

Unless you use up 25% a day, you should be ok though. Athough you want to keep your battery above 20% to make sure you have sentry and other features while out and about.

For long trips, supercharge to ~80% and charge the remaining amount at home to get to 100% in the morning.

Thanks everyone for your answers.

Luckily I only need about 12% to get to work and back (about 60km), expect for the odd day for longer distances.
We are signed up to Contact's electricity plan with free electricity between 9pm and 12am .. as soon as we buy a house, we will install a charger into our home. It's not financially worth it for a year, especially if I can claim back cost of juice from my employer. :)

Reactions: Audietron
Thanks everyone for your answers.

Luckily I only need about 12% to get to work and back (about 60km), expect for the odd day for longer distances.
We are signed up to Contact's electricity plan with free electricity between 9pm and 12am .. as soon as we buy a house, we will install a charger into our home. It's not financially worth it for a year, especially if I can claim back cost of juice from my employer. :)
install chargenet app, there are plenty free chargers you can tap into, as people share freely.
my home wall charger costs me around $ to charge full from 3% battery within few hours, so not a big dent anyhow.

You talking about Plugshare?

Chargenet are pay per use chargers.
In Auckland there are many 'free' AC chargers on chargeNet, and some actually free DC chargers (not owned/operated by chargeNet), seems most of the AC chargers on chargeNet in Welly are paid, but there is a free one in Te Aro. Most of the 'free' AC chargers in Auckland are in council owned paid parking locations, so the charging is free, but the parking isn't.

Reactions: m3lol and Audietron
Yep, like the chargenet HPCs at taupo. But I wouldn't count on it being free, that may have be an opening special (or simply not getting the backend software working correctly)
Glad I used that glitch... but even when not free, it's faster than other chargenet chargers.
Nothing beats charging at home, because everywhere outside it's 40-90 cents per KW, when at home it's between 8-35 cents... lower than lowest in market if one can have a wall charger at home.

It cost me approx. $2000 for wall charger and installation.

Technically, it's against Worksafe guidelines to use a 15A socket for an EVSE in New Zealand. Following their rules, you're only allowed a 10A or a 16A caravan socket.
I hope that’s not the case in Australia, as there has been a lot of Worksafe Guideline breaches at many Caravan parks throughout Australia. Lots of Caravan parks with AS/NZS3112 15A sockets.

If you have three phase can your electrician not dial up your 3 pin socket to say 16 or 32 amps?
Yes, you could get a 16A circuit and caravan socket added and that would be within the rules. Tesla doesn't provide an official 32A tail for the UMC and Worksafe also hasn't approved the 32A socket for EVSE usage. You'd be better off getting a Wall Connector at that point anyway.