Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speed on European outlets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering buying a Model Y in Greece, but the charging infrastructure is quite poor, so basically will be relying on plugging into a regular electrical outlet. For folks who are in Europe and charge by just plugging in to their outlet at home, what charging speeds do you get in terms of miles or km/hr and KWh/hr?

I don'tdo that, but a normal household socket, you get at max somewhere between 2.2kW or 3kW, depending on the amperage of the socket, I mean the amperage that can be continuously drawn - note that if the electrical installation is old/not good, the UMC will sense heat build-up (hopefully at the socket), and scale down the current it draws.

From Σύνδεσμοι φόρτισης, it looks like for Greece, maximum is indeed 3kW (without the blue adapter), so for MY, that means full 0-100 charging in about 75/3 = 25 hours. A more conservative estimate at 2.2kW would be ~34 hours.

So if you charge overnight, let's say 10 hours of charging, at 3kW you would recover 30kWh, which means as long as your daily commute (in total) is below 40% of the battery, you should be good. If you can also plug in at work (assuming commute), it's even better, as you'd get another 7-8 hours of charging, so ~20kWh.

• Helpful
Reactions: alekaras
I don'tdo that, but a normal household socket, you get at max somewhere between 2.2kW or 3kW, depending on the amperage of the socket, I mean the amperage that can be continuously drawn - note that if the electrical installation is old/not good, the UMC will sense heat build-up (hopefully at the socket), and scale down the current it draws.

From Σύνδεσμοι φόρτισης, it looks like for Greece, maximum is indeed 3kW (without the blue adapter), so for MY, that means full 0-100 charging in about 75/3 = 25 hours. A more conservative estimate at 2.2kW would be ~34 hours.

So if you charge overnight, let's say 10 hours of charging, at 3kW you would recover 30kWh, which means as long as your daily commute (in total) is below 40% of the battery, you should be good. If you can also plug in at work (assuming commute), it's even better, as you'd get another 7-8 hours of charging, so ~20kWh.
Thanks @iustin . Not so much a daily driver. I spend 3-4 months a year in Greece and will primarily use for maybe 250-350 km road trips. But it sounds like if I stay at least a couple of days at a particular location I can get it back to 100%, even if it's down to 10%, just by plugging into a regular outlet.

On a separate note, what is the blue adapter? I don't think we have those in the US.

1. Regular sockets are rated 16A, but NOt for long periods of time, that's why the classic EU Shuko granny charger is limited to 10A.
2. The blue sockets can work with 16/32A on a single phase, but I really did not see them "in the wild".
3. In Europe you can find the red 400V 3 phase, max 32A - 22 kw, but the car is limited to 3 phase 11 kW (16A- M3/Y) and 3 phase 17 kW (24A - S/MX)