Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speed suddenly dropped - Resolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 for about 2 months. I've been charging it with 240V NEMA outliet at 32A. Yesterday the charging amp dropped to 8A and charging speed dropped significantly. The error message on the monitor says that there is a charging connector adapter faulty. And the LED on the connector flashed red 5 times. I unplugged and plugged back the connector. The problem was still there. Called the support line, the staff remotely re booted the charging connector from his end. But the red light was still flashing. I then unplugged the connector again. And this time I disassembled and re assembled the connector. Plugged it back in. Boom! the problem was gone! I don't know if it was due to the loose connection of the connector assembly, or software bug, or both. But if you are having the same problem, you can try disassemble and reassemble the connector, and see if it will get rid of the problem.

I love to see Tesla continue to get better and better about giving folks “limp home” options.

It sounds like the issue here was that the mobile connector could not communicate with the adapter to get info on what amperage receptacle the adapter was for and what the temperature of the receptacle might be.

So instead of a “hard fail” where you can’t charge the car at all, it just fell back to 2/3rds of the speed of the slowest adapter (the 5-15).

Allowing this slow speed may be the difference between getting enough charge to limp to the nearest supercharger / service center / L2 Charger and needing to get a tow...

Kudos to Tesla for continuing to iterate on this!