Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speed to 100% dramatically slower!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an elegant idea for Tesla to deal with degradation. Slowly raise the 10% top buffer invisibly to 9%, and 8% ... as the battery ages. Keeping the advertised range true and steady for longer, at the expense of now slowing the charge times with more pronounced taper.

I suspect they're already doing this. Cars with newer batteries that hit 0% drive longer long than older cars that hit 0% which probably means that as the miles pile up, they're dipping into the anti brick buffer to make the degradation not seem as bad.

If you can't charge are

If you can't charge that high why do you think it should be able to sustain regen that high?

Sustaining regen never came into this discussion. Coasting downhill 99% of that 30 mile leg was not doing any regen at all. The only regen was slowing down for corners or coming to a stop at the light on the last grade just entering Sonora.

After that, regen was limited to 10KW for the next 60 miles home even even though the battery remained cool in the 80 to 85F range.

The point is that the behavior has changed dramatically. The point of this discussion was to suss out whether it was related to software changes or degradation.

And they will price it to match. Sounds like a good idea, but until the degradation happens, your carrying around a lot of extra battery and getting no benefit.

Actually there would be a fairly large benefit as charging and discharging in a narrow range of the batteries total capacity results in less degradation in a non linear fashion. For instance charging from 0% to 100% causes far more degradation than charging 30% to 80% twice.

A new first this morning. Plugged in last night at 65%. Timer was set at 4:00 am. Temperature was mid 65F in garage this morning(we had a heat spell yesterday).

Normally, 65 to 80% would be done in 36 minutes at 80 amps. But this morning it was still going at 7:50 this morning when I walked out into the garage. It was at 79% and 5 amps and said "calculating remaining charge time". There was no error displayed at all and the charge port was pulsing green.

A new first this morning. Plugged in last night at 65%. Timer was set at 4:00 am. Temperature was mid 65F in garage this morning(we had a heat spell yesterday).

Normally, 65 to 80% would be done in 36 minutes at 80 amps. But this morning it was still going at 7:50 this morning when I walked out into the garage. It was at 79% and 5 amps and said "calculating remaining charge time". There was no error displayed at all and the charge port was pulsing green.
Do you use TeslaFi (or any other logging app)? That could show you what happened over those 4 hours.

Something doesn't sound right, I hope (one of your) charger(s) isn't failing (I had to replace mine about 18 months ago).

Nope, flashes green when I plug in then later tells me there's an issue and limits charging to 16A. I'll get wasted tonight and do it again so I can take a picture.

I've had a limit from 32 to 16 amps on a level 2 charger where it says the charge was reduced and shows a new maximum of 16 amps on the dash. But there was no such warning and it showed 5/80 on the dash, not 5 out of something reduced from 80.

Here's a recent comparison with my p85dl battery:

upload_2018-3-12_15-11-7.png

upload_2018-3-12_15-12-0.png

And from almost two years ago:

upload_2018-3-12_15-16-53.png

upload_2018-3-12_15-17-44.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sorka and MP3Mike