Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla 3 charges at 7kWh at home on Podpoint charger and that is what the car tells me it is doing. On Saturday I went to charge at a Shell Recharge using type two charger rated at 43kwh. My car said it was charging at 12kwh. Then yesterday I stopped at a Tesla supercharger and used the CCS charger rated at 150kwh and car said it was charging at 37kwh (and that is the speed I have been billed at). The car had advised me to stop at the supercharger and said the battery was being prepared for Super chanrging. I am I reading things incorrectly or should I be looking at Amps or something else.

Sadly, it appears Shell Recharge stations are AC type 2 43kwh, which since they aren't DC, the car's onboard charger has to be used, and that's limited to around 13kwh. Pay close attention to the car's charge screen next time you try, and you'll likely see something like 277V at 48 amps. It >looks< like if you found a 175kw DC Shell Recharge station, it would charge at more typical Supercharger(DC) rates.

I gotta say, I was 'shocked' at the amount of EV charging options... Public charging networks - national and regional EV charging networks

A 37kW charge rate is slow at at supercharger UNLESS your state of charge is high, like maybe 85% or so.
Other factors could be temperature (if it's very hot or cold, charging rate will slow). Or, if you were charging next to another car (like stalls 2A and 2B), your power will be cut in half. Or, it could be a defective charger. If it happens again, move to a different charger.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sadly, it appears Shell Recharge stations are AC type 2 43kwh, which since they aren't DC, the car's onboard charger has to be used, and that's limited to around 13kwh. Pay close attention to the car's charge screen next time you try, and you'll likely see something like 277V at 48 amps. It >looks< like if you found a 175kw DC Shell Recharge station, it would charge at more typical Supercharger(DC) rates.

I gotta say, I was 'shocked' at the amount of EV charging options... Public charging networks - national and regional EV charging networks
In UK Shell Recharge offers three options Type 2, CCS and CHAdeMO. i only tried the Type two, so maybe I would have had a better result using CCS.

Thanks for info though.

A 37kW charge rate is slow at at supercharger UNLESS your state of charge is high, like maybe 85% or so.
Other factors could be temperature (if it's very hot or cold, charging rate will slow). Or, if you were charging next to another car (like stalls 2A and 2B), your power will be cut in half. Or, it could be a defective charger. If it happens again, move to a different charger.
This was at a Tesla Supercharging staion with 8 charge points. Perhaps it is always better to use DC rather than AC if available? Thanks

My Tesla 3 charges at 7kWh at home on Podpoint charger and that is what the car tells me it is doing. On Saturday I went to charge at a Shell Recharge using type two charger rated at 43kwh. My car said it was charging at 12kwh. Then yesterday I stopped at a Tesla supercharger and used the CCS charger rated at 150kwh and car said it was charging at 37kwh (and that is the speed I have been billed at). The car had advised me to stop at the supercharger and said the battery was being prepared for Super chanrging. I am I reading things incorrectly or should I be looking at Amps or something else.

kW is power. its the rate of energy being added to your battery... i.e. speed of charging
kWh is energy. its how much total has been added ... i.e. capacity

7kW makes sense for your home charger.
43kW makes sense for the Shell thing because it's likely capped at 50kW
37kW from supercharger is possible depending on the stall being shared and/or battery temperature and/or battery state of charge. you know that above 80% battery of so, the charging rate (power) slows down to ~50kW and lower.

on DC stalls like the Shell and the Supercharger, you have no control over the current (amperage)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
kW is power. its the rate of energy being added to your battery... i.e. speed of charging
kWh is energy. its how much total has been added ... i.e. capacity

7kW makes sense for your home charger.
43kW makes sense for the Shell thing because it's likely capped at 50kW
37kW from supercharger is possible depending on the stall being shared and/or battery temperature and/or battery state of charge. you know that above 80% battery of so, the charging rate (power) slows down to ~50kW and lower.

on DC stalls like the Shell and the Supercharger, you have no control over the current (amperage)
Thank you, never really understood electricity, so that is helpful. I went into Tesla Supercharger on 17% and left 20 minutes later on 65%. I had expected it to be closer to 100%, but perhaps my expectations too high. - Thanks

Thank you, never really understood electricity, so that is helpful. I went into Tesla Supercharger on 17% and left 20 minutes later on 65%. I had expected it to be closer to 100%, but perhaps my expectations too high. - Thanks

i put this into google and its a very fair (if slightly optimistic) curve of power expectations at different battery state of charge

most chargers out there are the gen 2 - 150kw class (108kw/125kw/150kw max)

some out there are the new gen 3 - 250kw class. whats nice about these is that you have someone in the next stall and still get full potential, without the sharing issues

No, pay attention to what others have said. Once you hit 80%, your charging speed will plummet.
You also said you had a M3, but there is a big difference between 65% on a SR and an LR.