TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charging spots are not parking spots!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jdc1, Jan 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jdc1

jdc1 Member

Sigh!

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  2. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Yeah it only takes a couple folks to ruin for many.

• Like x 1
  3. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Member

Teslabjørn made a video:

• Funny x 8
    • Informative x 1
  4. jdc1

jdc1 Member

Great comedy! Thank Gold Heart!

• Like x 2
  5. scottflys

scottflys Member

So this was a question I had. There are 6 plus EV parking and charging spots at the airport. I've asked around and most cars there are parking and not also charging. A sign even says EV Parking only others will be towed.
    So would it be wrong to park the Tesla there for a few days while on a trip?
    Thx

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Airport parking is an exception because it is assumed that anyone parking there has flown away and won't be back that day (except perhaps if it's a designated short term lot). This is why many advocate for a bank of 120V outlets rather than J1772s-- it could service more cars for less money. So park there if you need the charge, but of course don't park in one of those spaces if you don't need the charge. That would be obnoxious.

• Like x 4
  7. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I have never tried it, but can you set your charge amps in the car to lower than the max that a J1772 can provide? Just curious.

8. slevit1md

slevit1md Member

This is exactly what PDX (Portland) has done...two rather large banks of level 1 chargers which are perfect for charging over the several days you're away. Unfortunately, even those two pretty large banks get filled up easily when people are gone for a while, and there's not much turnover.

9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

this is where airport authorities are missing the boat regarding the needs of ev drivers. assuming that a good number of travelers will be parking for more and a day or two, L2 chargers really aren't essential. what would be nice to see airports install are banks of park places with 110 plugs. while away for a few days, the 110 outlets are sufficient to charge and are can be installed at a very low cost.

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

The problem is no one makes money selling 120V outlets, and the airport management doesn't know any better. Airports think "we need to do EV charging" and the EVSE salesman shows them EVSEs that cost thousands of dollars each.

• Like x 1
  11. EVCarGUy

EVCarGUy Member

Yes. The center screen will allow you to set the amps from 1 to whatever the J1772 (or Tesla UMC or Tesla HPWC) offers as the max allowed amps.

12. jdc1

jdc1 Member

SFO has banks of 120V outlets located near the elevators of its long term parking structure, about 10 spots per floor. Some authorities see the benefit of low cost power plugs for EV parking for days.

13. croman

croman Active Member

120V plugs at O'Hare in the winter would, at best, fight vampire drain in a Tesla. Other BEVs would be better served though. Honestly the best solution to this issue is FSD. Drive car to airport. Send car back to home.

14. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

I'd be uncomfortable leaving my expensive EVSE in an airport parking lot for days at at a time. Any problems with theft or vandalism?

I'd rather see banks of relatively inexpensive 120V J1772 EVSEs at airports.

• Like x 2
  15. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

It locks into your car but yeah if someone wants it bad enough I'm sure they can snap it off

16. jdc1

jdc1 Member

I backed the wheel over the cord to reduce the chance someone might try to steal it.

• Like x 1
  17. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

And have them in the middle of two rows so that other cars can be connected when leaving!

18. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

That is what the PDX airport went with. I think they have ~50 120v J1772 in the parking lots.

• Like x 1