Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging spots occupied by other Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having problems at work charging my car when the only four spots for charging in our parking garage are always occupied by other Tesla owners. Unfortunately, they are all plugged in, but by the early afternoon, three out of the four cars are already full. I have tried for the past two days to come back to the garage two or three times, To try to find an empty spot, to no avail. What kind of note should I leave for the other Tesla owners to let them know that there are other cars that need to use those spots. I have used an app that identifies all charging spots in parking garage is in Miami, and I have left messages, however it seems that this owners are not tracking or using The app. I appreciate any suggestions of the best wording to use so as not to offend my fellow Tesla owners.

Be diplomatic. Introduce yourself, be an excited fellow Tesla owner, and explain your predicament. It's entirely possible they haven't even considered that sitting in the charger all day could be an issue for others. Leave your phone number and a suggestion: when your car done charging, if you could move to another spot and shoot me a text, I'd greatly appreciate it!"

Bonus: attach a small sweet treat of some sort — candy, gum, mints, etc — to frame the letter as friendly. Words on a page can be hard to impart the desired emotion on, especially when you don't know the mood of the other person.

Be diplomatic. Introduce yourself, be an excited fellow Tesla owner, and explain your predicament. It's entirely possible they haven't even considered that sitting in the charger all day could be an issue for others. Leave your phone number and a suggestion: when your car done charging, if you could move to another spot and shoot me a text, I'd greatly appreciate it!"

Bonus: attach a small sweet treat of some sort — candy, gum, mints, etc — to frame the letter as friendly. Words on a page can be hard to impart the desired emotion on, especially when you don't know the mood of the other person.

Thanks Buddy. I don't know who the owners are so I will have to leave a note on their car. Appreciate the suggestions.

This is an area where Tesla could do more in software by tracking locations (superchargers and destination chargers) where cars are waiting for access, and notifying owners via smartphone app or text message that their car has finished charging and recommending they move to open the space for a waiting car.

This is an area where Tesla could do more in software by tracking locations (superchargers and destination chargers)
No, this is not for Tesla to deal with because it is not one of their charging stations. This is just some public station in a parking garage, and Tesla should not be trying to manage the waiting queues of the tens of thousands of those all over the country.

Reactions: skitown and Ciaopec
Is there any attendant or management for the garage? Complain to them so they can educate the EV owners to be considerate. Or just go to work early and occupy the spot. Leave a note on your car to communicate with them (be creative).

I am having problems at work charging my car when the only four spots for charging in our parking garage are always occupied by other Tesla owners. Unfortunately, they are all plugged in, but by the early afternoon, three out of the four cars are already full. I have tried for the past two days to come back to the garage two or three times, To try to find an empty spot, to no avail. What kind of note should I leave for the other Tesla owners to let them know that there are other cars that need to use those spots. I have used an app that identifies all charging spots in parking garage is in Miami, and I have left messages, however it seems that this owners are not tracking or using The app. I appreciate any suggestions of the best wording to use so as not to offend my fellow Tesla owners.
I assume you are looking at the EVSE to get the information on which cars are not charging? Some people do not realize that the blinking light on the charge port of the car goes out after the car locks. You would have to look for indications on the charging station itself to know that they were not charging.

I gather that these are J1772 ports, which would allow them to be unplugged and used by other cars IF you can work out an arrangement to allow this with the other owners.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thank you all for your input. I created a note explaining the situation and very nicely suggested the owner move to another spot once their car is fully charged. I will also talk to the Garage administration office to bring up this issue and see what ideas they have (if an )
upload_2018-5-20_15-42-17.png

Hmmmm. That's not the note I left. Mine went more like: "I see you have left your car blocking others from charging after you were full. I always wondered how a person who pays near a hundred grand for a car can afford new paint.
If you wonder who keyed your car, it was me."

They moved their car after that.

Honey attracts more flies than vinegar -- but who wants flies? Get the fly swatter!

Hmmmm. That's not the note I left. Mine went more like: "I see you have left your car blocking others from charging after you were full. I always wondered how a person who pays near a hundred grand for a car can afford new paint.
If you wonder who keyed your car, it was me."

They moved their car after that.

Honey attracts more flies than vinegar -- but who wants flies? Get the fly swatter!
Sounds like a great way to get in trouble with the law if they have a dashcam. No one should be defacing private property regardless of how much of an ass the other person is.

Reactions: Shaggy