TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging starting hours later than scheduled....

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by sorka, Jun 8, 2016.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

This keeps happening. Very annoying because it's quite expensive to charge during peak hours.

I have my charge time set to 3:00 AM:

[​IMG]

But the charging starts hours later:

[​IMG]

When it's 4x more expensive and of course means I sometimes have to take another car because it never charged before I was ready to leave.

Any ideas???????

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Are you sure the messages just aren't delayed? 8:11 AM is an odd time for the car to choose. If it were exactly 2-3 hours off, I would think maybe something with time zone confusion.

3. Max*

Max* Charging

I'm confused, did you park the car with 67% and need to charge to 70% and are complaining that the 3% it charged (2kwh) is costing you a lot of money?

Are you sure this isn't the car just topping off (i.e. after vampire drain)?

• Like x 1
  4. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

The car did not charge at 3:00 AM because it won't charge until at least a 3% difference exists to the set charge limit. Probably it reached 67% at 8:11 AM because of phantom drain.

5. animorph

animorph Member

+1

There was another thread on this. I believe they decided there is a 6 hour window after the start time during which it will charge if it needs to. Set the start for 6 hours ahead of the rate change if that's practical.

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

Positive. When it started this morning just after 8, I went out to the garage. It was charging.

7. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

If the Model S is re-plugged in within 6 hours (after) of a scheduled charge it will begin to recharge. If you wait beyond 6 hours it will not begin to recharge until the next day at the scheduled time.

I personally have never seen my Model S start its recharge later than scheduled UNLESS it was already fully charged or charged beyond the set threshold.

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

Not for the example I posted before, but it's doing this every day.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

It's NEVER done that before and it has done this recently when it was at 35% or something close to that. I stopped the charge manually and decided to take the Prius instead.

10. animorph

animorph Member