Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station and Other Questions - Master's Student Data Gathering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all TMC Members;

My name is Derek Oppedisano and I'm a Master's student studying at the University of British Columbia in Clean Energy Engineering. For one of our research projects, me and two classmates are looking at renewable energy infrastructure within North America, to eventually provide some recommendations on policy and or potential solutions to simplify uptake of systems and technology (such as EVs).

In the interest of science I would open up a VERY quick questionnaire, that I'd like to ask you all:

1. When did you buy your Tesla?

2. Did you immediately (within 3 months) install a Level 2 or 3 charging station? (indicate yes/no, and charging type)

3. How much did your charging station cost? (including everything)

4. What kind of building do you live in? (Condo, apartment, house, duplex etc.)

5. Scale from 1 to 10, how difficult was the process? 1 being easy, 10 being nearly impossible.

6. Would you invest in a solar array to offset the electricity you consume? If so, what would a "reasonable" cost be for you? (USD)

7. Please add any comments about the process to own an EV that you think I might find interesting/surprising (specific instances of difficulties, or improvements in your local policies or governance etc.)

NOTE: I will keep all of your information confidential and will not be disclosing this in any public way. Your data will be used solely to gather preliminary understandings of real customer values and opinions. Though it should be known that the general findings of this data may be used for future research and/or papers.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for helping and taking a couple minutes to answer :)

I included a little brochure that we've been handing out here in Vancouver if you are interested in contacting me directly.

Derek Oppedisano

Attached Files:

Attachments

• Brochure Version 2.png
    Brochure Version 2.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 64
- CPO vehicle. Picked it up in Vegas

2. Did you immediately (within 3 months) install a Level 2 or 3 charging station? (indicate yes/no, and charging type)
- Yes—Tesla level 2 charger

- Bought a new in box Tesla level 2 charger on this forum for $425

- Own my own home

5. Scale from 1 to 10, how difficult was the process? 1 being easy, 10 being nearly impossible.
- 1; since i’m a civil engineer and dabble in infrastructure circuit design this was pretty easy,

6. Would you invest in a solar array to offset the electricity you consume? If so, what would a "reasonable" cost be for you? (USD)
- Had a 8kWp solar array installed a year ago—the house was net zero with a little surplus but now that EV puts me as a grid consumer again. Might add a few more panel but the payback to be net zero again is to lengthy (10-years).

7. Please add any comments about the process to own an EV that you think I might find interesting/surprising (specific instances of difficulties, or improvements in your local policies or governance etc.)
- nothing to speak of..everything experience was as i expected—research is king! Be an informed consumer!!!

- CPO vehicle. Picked it up in Vegas

- Yes—Tesla level 2 charger

- Bought a new in box Tesla level 2 charger on this forum for $425

- Own my own home

- 1; since i’m a civil engineer and dabble in infrastructure circuit design this was pretty easy,

- Had a 8kWp solar array installed a year ago—the house was net zero with a little surplus but now that EV puts me as a grid consumer again. Might add a few more panel but the payback to be net zero again is to lengthy (10-years).

- nothing to speak of..everything experience was as i expected—research is king! Be an informed consumer!!!

Thanks blue Oval!

Thanks blue Oval!
It would be a lot easier if you run a google survey or survey monkey to fill outs

1-bought June 2017
2- installed 240v 40A socket (L2) before purchase. I had never heard of anyone installing L3 charger.
3-socket and wiring cost about $300
4-in my owned house
5-install was easy
6-solar yes, but I am waiting for power wall to be available for canada
7-EV is a hands down better experience than gas car. Drives better, no worries about filling up (always full each morning). The Tesla specifically is a different beast, it is like going from a Nokia cell phone to the iPhone.