TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging Station at Calabogie Motorsports Park - Tesla Motors Really Comes Through!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Doug_G, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#1 Doug_G, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Update: Tesla Motors is donating equipment!

We've been wanting a high power charging station at Calabogie Motorsports Park for years now. It now looks possible. But we need people to sponsor the charger.

Calabogie is an awesome 5 km track, located in a beautiful forest setting. It is a challenging track with lots of elevation changes and 20 corners. The facilities are modern; in fact they're still putting up buildings and adding on new elements to the track.

If you'd like to run a race track in your Model S or Roadster, then help make it happen. I've only been able to run the track briefly a couple of times, thanks to a friend who let me recharge at his nearby cabin. But to really run this track we need onsite charging.

We need about $2k for a high power charging station. If you are interested in supporting a charging station at Calabogie, please PM me.

10537440_897546650259347_3061052693326744714_n.jpg

attachment.jpg

10536234_908252985855380_2011863531508167723_o.jpg

14533969334_204f716936_o_zps405be251.jpg

2. inottawa

inottawa Member

I'd love to help sponsor this, but how realistic is it to take the MS around the track for more than 1 intense lap?

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've had my S around the track. Basically I'd go a couple of laps, then return to the pits for 5-10 minutes then repeat. It cools down much faster than the Roadster in my experience.

If you have track experience then the 1morelap evening lapping events are the way to go. It's a two hour open lapping format, so you can go on and off as you require, without worrying about run groups.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Well, this is awesome... I just got a call from Tesla. They're going to help out with donating equipment!

Looks like can get HPWC and Roadster HPC charging stations.

Stay tuned!

5. inottawa

inottawa Member

Amazeballs! (yes, it's in the Oxford English Dictionary now..)

6. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Wow! That's impressive, and super cool they're including a Roadster HPC. I'll have to plan a trip to Ottawa.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

We have to figure out if Calabogie has enough power first!

8. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

That is amazing Doug!!! Thanks Tesla!

Even if I never lap the S there, I could see myself towing the race car with Model X and needing to recharge. :)

9. JST

JST Active Member

That is awesome.

10. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

Great to hear!

Thanks Tesla.

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Good stuff Doug, & thanks to Tesla for helping out!

12. swrving

swrving Member

Any update on the installation of the charging stations at Calabogie? I'm headed there the weekend of June 20th and would love to bring my P85D that I should be taking delivery of in mid-May.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Thanks for the nudge; it's time to talk to them...

14. KR1

KR1 Member

I haven't been on TMC for a while so it is great to see what's going on with Calabogie. I went up last year for a morning and managed to get out three times for 10-15 minutes or so each time. Really had to pay attention to my range and drive slowly there and back. I'm willing to help out in any way if needed.

15. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'll let you know. The garage that was built last year was prewired for a charging station, but not sure of the details. I'm trying to arrange for an A/B switch to select between Model S and Roadster, so we can have one of each. Hoping for 70A-80A but depending on site power it may only be 40A. Stay tuned.