Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station Installation Costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

neno

Jun 30, 2016
Chicago
Hello I'm an EE student working on a case study and for my modelling I need to know the costs for installing charging stations for EVs. This brought me to this forum If you can hand me this information with a reliable source I'd really appreciate it.

thanks in advance.

Hello I'm an EE student working on a case study and for my modelling I need to know the costs for installing charging stations for EVs. This brought me to this forum If you can hand me this information with a reliable source I'd really appreciate it.

thanks in advance.
Are you interested in home charge stations (EVSEs: Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) or commercial/public ones? Since EVs typically come with a portable EVSE, all one really needs is an outlet to plug it in to. In the case of Tesla, the portable EVSE, called a Universal Mobile Connector (UMC), works best when used with a 14-50 receptacle but it can be used with adapters on many other kinds of outlets. The cost to install a 14-50 receptacle varies with the difficulty in running a new circuit but can range from about a hundred dollars to more than a thousand if the house panel needs to be upgraded.

The actual cost of an EVSE can be as low as $400 at places like Home Depot, for fixed charge station installations. The Tesla ones are $500 to $550 for a "High Power Wall Connector" (HPWC) and $550 for a UMC like the one that comes with the car:

Tesla — Model S > Charging and Adapters

The HPWC can be put on a 240 volt 100 amp circuit but can also be dialed down to work on a lower amperage circuit. The cost of installing the circuit would depend on the capacity and location of the house panel.

Don't know if that's the information you were looking for. If you are looking for commercial/public charge station or Supercharger Station costs, that is a very difficult question to answer because it depends on so many factors.