Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station Installation Costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

neno

Jun 30, 2016
Chicago
Hello I'm an EE student working on a case study and for my modelling I need to know the costs for installing charging stations for EVs. This brought me to this forum If you can hand me this information with a reliable source I'd really appreciate it.

thanks in advance.

I have not seen a EV charging station in our place yet or either an electric vehicle supply equipment. In case there will be one to install , I have read online that putting up an electric vehicle charging stations may be eligible for a tax credit of 30% of the qualifying costs, up to $30,000. So , I think, it will very expensive to have one though its convenient for those who own an electric car.

I don't know if the following is what you are looking for, but here it is:

I've placed an order for a Model S and last Friday installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet in preparation for its arrival. I got estimates from a number of sources which I summarize below:

1) our town offers off-peak discount EV rate if we install a second meter. I took this option. It cost me $1600.00 for installing the meter (and hook up to main from street), circuit breaker, wiring and a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

2) my second option was to just use the normal rate and install the outlet off of the existing panel. Since our panel iis 100 amp max, we needed to upgrade to a 200 amp panel. The estimated cost for this option was $3000.00.

Some relevant cost factors: The installation was done in Boston area and the outlet was installed about 10 feet away from the planet/meter.

Hope this helps.