Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am posting this in a effort to help Tesla Roadster drivers.
From what has been posted on the evdl, Model S and X have a different on-board chargers , thus will not have the charging issues as a Roadster will with SemaConnect ChargePro EVSE. Please follow the evdl.org thread
Electric Vehicle Discussion List - SemaConnect EVSE can't charge Tesla Roadster EVs

History: a Tesla Roadster 2.0 driver Ken Adelman near Aptos, CA could not get a charge off SemaConnect EVSE at his local Santa Cruz or Scotts Valley Walgreens store. He reported his frustrations on his recargo.com check-in's with wording that he was asking Walgreens to resolve the issue.

We can assume Walgreens does not make an effort to read all EV Charging finder sites/apps, so I made the effort to place the post on the evdl stating Ken's issues, and also shot Walgreen Corp. an email advising them of SemaConnect EVSE issues (I have had no response from Walgreens).

I asked Ken to participate in discussions with knowledgeable drivers on either the evdl or this Tesla forum, he declined as "not having the time of any more forums". I can understand him being older, and having a limit on his daily bandwidth, so I personally made a special effort to make-time for cases like these that other drivers should be aware of (I'm trying to keep them from bagging their head this issue - save them some grief).

So, please follow the evdl thread (above) to know that there is a greater amount of leakage current when using the Roadster that the SemaConnect EVSE is not set for (they went cheap with a quick-n-dirty design, and a 'who-cares if it works with all Production EVs' attitude by putting in place EVSE set to 5ma when by 625 NEC code it could have been set to 20ma where drivers would have less problems with SemaConnect EVSE.

One can not blame the host, and please do not. Sales reps always come in acting like their product is real, but in this case, SemaConnect less-costly short-cuts let them bid-lower, and Walgreens bit down hard on the lower cost.

I repeat my request for drivers to take the time to put hosts in the loop when EVSE Hosts chose has problems. A nicely worded message will help them know that SemaConnect EVSE is not the low cost gem SemaConnect sales reps touted it be.

{brucedp.150m.com}

Roadmap to Electric Vehicles Charging Standards.

This is a long document that basically says that they have not done much and have a lot to do. I am concerned reading this that there may be some over-regulation of the standards which may not be favorable to Tesla.

http://publicaa.ansi.org/sites/apdl/evsp/ANSI_EVSP_Roadmap_April_2012.pdf

The first half is very general information (no specifics). The second "gap analysis" half has a lot of detail. What is relevant to Tesla is this (on page 78 of the document):
Section 1962.2, Title 13, of the California Code of Regulations, requires 2006 and later model year vehicles to be equipped with a conductive charger inlet port which meets all the specifications contained in SAE J1772™. This is also a requirement in states that have adopted the California Air Resources Board (CARB) zero emission vehicle (ZEV) requirements pursuant to section 177 of the federal Clean Air Act (42. U.S.C. Sec. 7507) (“S.177 states”). In March 2012, section 1962.2, Title 13, was amended so as to permit a manufacturer to apply for approval to use an alternative to the AC inlet specified in SAE J1772™ provided that the following conditions are met: (a) each vehicle is supplied with a rigid adaptor that would enable the vehicle to meet all of the remaining system and on‐board charger requirements described in J1772, and (b) the rigid adaptor and alternative inlet must be tested and approved by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory.
If this amendment was not added, Tesla would not be able to sell the Model S in California (since it doesn't support J1772 natively).

The rest of the report didn't contain much news. As typical of gap analysis, it points out all things that still need to be done. Basically L2 is already set and L3/DC is still not set. Wireless charging and V2G also are still very much open to changes.

The first half is very general information (no specifics). The second "gap analysis" half has a lot of detail. What is relevant to Tesla is this (on page 78 of the document):

If this amendment was not added, Tesla would not be able to sell the Model S in California (since it doesn't support J1772 natively).

The rest of the report didn't contain much news. As typical of gap analysis, it points out all things that still need to be done. Basically L2 is already set and L3/DC is still not set. Wireless charging and V2G also are still very much open to changes.

Thanks for pointing out this interesting section. Now I'm wondering if the UMC + J1772 adapter would be considered "rigid". The term isn't referenced anywhere else in the document.

I don't suppose that the rep at Santana Row had a price in mind for the adapter. Sounds like a useful thing to keep in the frunk.

The J1772 adapter is standard (this was known a long time ago). Looking at the law now, it is clear that they are legally required to include that adapter if they want to sell the car in California (and I bet most of their initial sales are in California).

Electric Vehicle Discussion List - SemaConnect EVSE can't charge Tesla Roadster EVs

[...]

So, please follow the evdl thread (above) to know that there is a greater amount of leakage current when using the Roadster that the SemaConnect EVSE is not set for (they went cheap with a quick-n-dirty design, and a 'who-cares if it works with all Production EVs' attitude by putting in place EVSE set to 5ma when by 625 NEC code it could have been set to 20ma where drivers would have less problems with SemaConnect EVSE.

[...]

I repeat my request for drivers to take the time to put hosts in the loop when EVSE Hosts chose has problems.

I think I just ran in to this same issue yesterday with a Schneider Electric EVSE at Springhill Suites in Wenatchee, WA.

This was the first Schneider EVSE I'd seen--has anybody else used one? It doesn't have a display, so I can't tell what it thinks the problem is; but it kept flashing its red light and clearly did not want to charge my Roadster. Their product description says it has a 5mA GFCI limit, so I assume it's the same issue. The Roadster started talking to it, noted the voltage in real time, and listed the current limit as 30A...but never actually pulled anything (current stayed at 0 until it stopped charging on its own).

I sent a note to Schneider, and sent a copy to Springhill Suites. I feel especially bad for them as they went to all the trouble of installing an EVSE, but the only cars that can make it to their hotel from the Seattle area are Roadsters...which can't use the charger.