TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging stations allow electric cars to go distance

Discussion in 'News' started by Doug_G, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Victoria promises 570 new stations on province's highways

Charging stations allow electric cars to go distance

2. daniel

daniel Active Member

I wonder if they'll be all over, or just on the Trans-Canada, and whether there'll be some RV-style plugs for the Roadster, or just J-1772 and/or Chademo. With stations in Nelson, Cranbrook, Revelstoke, and Golden I could make my Canada trips on Electric. Revelstoke and Golden are on the 1, so I'm sure they'll be included. So all they'd have to do is include Nelson and Cranbrook. Of course, it would have to be a charger type I can use, and there'd have to be some way of knowing ABSOLUTELY FOR CERTAIN that it would be functioning and available. So there would have to be redundancy and enough of them for the demand.

I might be willing to schedule an extra day for the trip, to allow for charging, but I will not risk being stranded. Best solution would be overnight charging at hotels, where I could reserve the charger.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

In due course they'll be "all over". The plan is to electrify transport across Canada, not just along select routes. This includes routes to the USA.

The stations are all Clipper Creek J1772 units, which are the most reliable in the industry. (The Tesla Roadster's HPC is a Clipper Creek.)

Redundancy will come in time as the stations are built out. Also in the works is an ability for users to query station status, etc.