Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stations and Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But Bonnie, those people with older EV aren't using the L2s out there. Look at ChargePoint and Blink usage stats - each EVSE in their networks sees one car every 2 days. And that includes the free EVSEs. They charge at home. Actual usage.

I think you're missing a key point here. They can't use the ChargePoint and Blinks or any J1772s. That's why they needed the older style to stay in place. And it was removed without warning.

Something similar (but not nearly as drastic) happened to Roadster owners a few years back. The Tesla Highway was mostly comprised of Tesla HPCs, with a Roadster connector. Without warning, the Rabobank HPCs were swapped over to J1772s, leaving a few Roadster owners stranded who had not yet purchased the adapter. No warning, no notification. Just swapped.

(And there's a really nice story in there about how one Tesla service tech, Jake Evangelos, on hearing about one stranded Roadster owner ... drove 130+ miles each way to take him an adapter. If anyone wonders why some of us are so crazy about the service we receive from Tesla, it's stories like this.)

those people with older EV aren't using the L2s out there. Look at ChargePoint and Blink usage stats - each EVSE in their networks sees one car every 2 days. And that includes the free EVSEs. They charge at home. Actual usage.
Keep in mind that those are averages. Some L2 EVSEs virtually never get used, while others are used quite frequently, in my experience. It really depends on the location. I'm of the opinion that if Costco offered reasonably priced J-1772 EVSEs, they'd get a lot of use. Remember that there are now many folks driving short-range PHEVs like the Plug-in Prius and Ford Energi models. Many of those drivers charge every chance they get, just to avoid burning gasoline.

Yeah, they are averages, but that says a LOT of chargers aren't getting used at all. If one charger is getting used once a day than means another is getting use once every 3 days. Basically, only a handful are actually getting used much at all. No matter how you slice it, the average still means something. And lets not forget that those "frequent" ones are mostly free. That's not sustainable. If they aren't free, people won't bother and will charge at home. I think you guys really want to believe that if you build it they will come. But to date, they haven't come. Why do you think they will now? People charge at home. That's the behavior. And, as to the PHEVs, I've seen reports that say the majority of PHEV owners NEVER charge.

And as to the older EVs that can't use J1772s, exactly how many are out there?

Some anecdotal evidence. In Seattle there are a lot of J1772 L2 chargers around - mostly Blink but some Chargepoint and a few others. The only chargers that I have seen any usage are 2 in the City Center Parking garage in downtown. They are usually full. Why is that? Because a) they are free and b) in the best parking spot in the entire parking structure. I doubt anyone who uses these two chargers actually needs to charge there. If it cost, the usage would drop to zero. If they were in the worst location in the garage, the usage would drop to zero. So, as well minded at these are, they really serve no purpose other than to give EVs the best parking spots in the garage.

Sorry, but all those public chargers basically serve only one purpose - to convince non EV owners that range isn't an issue. Once they buy, they wind up not using public chargers. In that sense, they serve some good. But if I were Costco, I'd still rip them out.

It's simple, gas pumps make money, electric plugins don't.
That investment they made in to gas pumps is expected to be recovered by those paying for fuel from said pumps. Unless they charge for the electrons the same can't be said of the charging stations (and there's a fair amount of resistance to the pay-to-charge model)

Actually, this argument doesn't hold the road as Costco sell their gasoline at «cost» to enhance the flow of customers IN their warehouse... that's the main goal of the Costco gas stations...

Actually, this argument doesn't hold the road as Costco sell their gasoline at «cost» to enhance the flow of customers IN their warehouse... that's the main goal of the Costco gas stations...
Not exactly true. Quoting Richard Galanti, the CFO on the F1Q 2014 Results Earnings Call:

Gasoline profits, gas is a very good business for us. It drives frequency, we feel, and year over year it’s always profitable, although it tends to be volatile. And the first quarter that impacted earnings by a little over $0.02 a share.

Costco Wholesale CEO Discusses F1Q 2014 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Last edited:
Costco actually does make a profit on gasoline. They do it by low margin / high volume, not accepting credit cards (except for their American Express partners), and selling enough gas to need daily refills of the tanks (maximizing the usage of land/equipment).

I'm thinking more along the lines of EVs in general, not just Teslas with large battery packs. There will be people that have both a local EV (small pack) in their garage, along with a larger EV for family trips and times they need more miles available. I liked seeing EVSEs at Costco. It helped to raise awareness with the general public that EVs are here now.

When we get to the Model 3, there will be a lot of education required for people on where to charge, how to charge. The more the public sees EVs in their day-to-day activities, the easier it will be when Model 3 hits. Just my opinion. But I think we need to be concerned about every EVSE, every location ... 'rising tide floats all boats' kind of thing. We need more EVs on the road. Even ones with less range that need to charge while at Costco.
Agreed, not everyone owns a Tesla,even if they had the finances for one. Broader adoption for EV,the Model 3 with so many reservations in June 2016! Function,the longer road trip [600 miles] into areas without superchargers,a PHEV may be more useful.Especially where parking's a problem at home,you may be only able to choose one "environmentally" [friendlier] vehicle.

Example, driving from NY state into West Virginia ,ending in Charlotte, North Carolina, maybe into Charleston,South Carolina.There's a Wheeling W.V. supercharger as of 2014.Still leaves over 400 miles to the N.C. destination without a supercharger. Using this example, even the 90D is hampered with a "prolonged" road trip due to charging requirements.Whereas most PHEV would only need one,or two charges in hybrid mode,with about two stops for gas.

If both businesses ,and governments don't add more free, street level chargers , the general public will see owning an EV as an inconvenience. In large cities with EV chargers primarily inside city owned,or private garages ,requiring upwards of $20 to park isn't going to be an incentive to those who already don't own an EV of any kind to want one.Accessible infrastructure is key,and California's commitment to the West coast electric highway is an awesome way to help new EV,even PHEV owners with range anxiety,and flexibility in real world use. Street level parking lots,on street charging is going to be useful to even the larger battery EV,no one "plans" to be out of charge,but it can happen.