Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Promoting EV while having 13A charger in place is hilarious. Why still bother in 13A?

Even thought there are 1000 public charging ports in HK, but considering there will be more than 300 Model S on the street in near future, i can only see people who can't install his own charger at home fighting for the spot and regretting their choice on EV.

One of my friend was seriously considering a 60KW MS, but after knowing it takes 40 hours to fully charge the car, he pull out. It just doesn't make sense in anyway.

Sorry for the broken English:tongue:

Mark, so this is good news, or good olds?

Old news. But, nice to see it written down in one place clearly.

- - - Updated - - -

Promoting EV while having 13A charger in place is hilarious. Why still bother in 13A?

One of my friend was seriously considering a 60KW MS, but after knowing it takes 40 hours to fully charge the car, he pull out. It just doesn't make sense in anyway.

13A is fine, so long as you can charge either all day long or all night long. Workplace or home charging.

For 2 or 3 hours on a Model S, it is pretty much useless.

Does anyone know if we will suffer the same single phase only charging issues that the Europeans are having now? Im not that up on it, but since we seem to be getting the European plug i assume we are getting the associated problems?

Does anyone know if we will suffer the same single phase only charging issues that the Europeans are having now? Im not that up on it, but since we seem to be getting the European plug i assume we are getting the associated problems?

I heard of problems in Norway (suspected to be Norwegian power supply compatibility issues). Do you have a reference to other issues?

I heard of problems in Norway (suspected to be Norwegian power supply compatibility issues). Do you have a reference to other issues?
I think this is the most relevant thread. Basically, in some situations with public single phase charge points, the car can only charge at 3.6kW with single charger and 7.2kW with dual charger even when it is designated as a higher power charging station. The problem seems to come from the fact that the maximum input is 16A per line per charger. If the Type 2 plug only has power on the L1 pin, you get the 3.6kW and 7.2kW limits. If you have a home "wallbox" you can wire L1 to all three pins L1/L2/L3 and the chargers will draw current on all three pins. I recall some disagreement about how the pilot should be set in this situation so you're not pulling 3X what the circuit can handle. Long story short, go for the dual chargers because you don't want to be limited to the equivalent of a HK wall outlet on a high power single phase station due to some compatibility problem.

Also, just to be clear, the Tesla adapter to IEC Blue 32A plug seems to do the L1/L2/L3 junction internally, so this is not an issue with the Mobile Connector provided with the car. However, that begs the question: Is there any public place or private car park in HK that has IEC Blue sockets that could be used for charging?

Last edited:
I think this is the most relevant thread. Basically, in some situations with public single phase charge points, the car can only charge at 3.6kW with single charger and 7.2kW with dual charger even when it is designated as a higher power charging station. (snip) Long story short, go for the dual chargers because you don't want to be limited to the equivalent of a HK wall outlet on a high power single phase station due to some compatibility problem.

OK. I learn something new here every day. Makes me glad I decided to switch to dual chargers at the last minute. From my understanding, the 32A sockets in HK are single phase generally.

Not sure that 32A are single phase. My house is 3 phase and the electrician can do a 32A. I saw a very recent video with Elon in Europe at a town hall type meeting and he said there is a hardware and software fix days away.

HKEV confirmed they can install 2 x 32A 3Phase chargers at my place, what I will get done asap. :smile:

The gentleman from their technical department is very knowledgeable. Not only about the installation, but also about the various EVs and the respective charging times with different chargers. HKEV is the appointed charger installation company for Tesla, Porsche and BMW.
Their charger is certified for outdoor installation and will be activated by an RFID card before charging.

We are in Hong Kong ....
The company basically has a monopoly. However if their installation will be done in good quality and very soon, I'm ok with this amount. In case their final quote will be cheaper, will let you know.

Out of interest, I was given a data sheet by Tesla today and it says that,

Single phase, 200-250 Volt, 32 Amps AC supply, 50 Hz
IEC 60309 230V, 32A, 6h, 2P+G, 3 pin blue outlet

is required, also,

To take full advantage of your Mobile Connector, work with anelectrician to install at a 240 Volt, 32 Amp, single phase outletwhere you plan to park your Model S.
To ensure uninterrupted charging at full power, the circuitbreaker should be rated for at least 32 Amps.

from this document,

teslamodelscharge.jpg

posted on another forum, it suggests that all we can do in HK is to charge at 35km/h regardless of how many chargers we have.

Can any experts here shed some more light on this? Im getting the impression that Tesla HK doesn't really know themselves and I would like to know exactly what I am getting and what I need.

Last edited:
OK, I will buy a supercharger then, and install 500m2 of solar panels to power it :)

Seriously, I wonder if Tesla would sell superchargers to individuals or companies, whether it is for a price, or for free?

Imagine you have a shopping mall or other area where you control the parking spots - and you want to attract customers. Offer super charging and parking included, if the customer just buys more than a certain amount of goods or services.

Somehow I think Tesla will not be selling superchargers, only providing them. A maxed out type 2 adapter will still take almost 5 hours to fully charge the car. And three hours parking with a 13A, single phase, is only about 40 km more range, not a whole lot for what it takes to dine and shop. Hard to stretch it much more than that, but if 100 km/h, over half charge in three hours is fine.

is required, also,

To take full advantage of your Mobile Connector, work with anelectrician to install at a 240 Volt, 32 Amp, single phase outletwhere you plan to park your Model S.
To ensure uninterrupted charging at full power, the circuitbreaker should be rated for at least 32 Amps.

from this document,

View attachment 44665

posted on another forum, it suggests that all we can do in HK is to charge at 35km/h regardless of how many chargers we have.

Can any experts here shed some more light on this? Im getting the impression that Tesla HK doesn't really know themselves and I would like to know exactly what I am getting and what I need.

Great info, Lerxt! Also from Vmax about charging outlet installation with EV Power! Appreciated!

This is the same as in USA where they recommend a NEMA 14-50 outlet (240V 1-ph 40A continuous). The Blue outlet is the best solution for the Mobile Connector and adapter that is provided with the car. You could also use the 3-phase Red socket, but I'm guessing Tesla will charge extra for that adapter.

The table clearly shows that there are options to charge more than 35km/h. The Mobile Connector can deliver 50km/h if you use the 3-phase Red plug. If you install a Type-2 "Wallbox" fed by 3-phase 400V 32A, you can get 100km/h with Dual Chargers in the car. This is equivalent to the Tesla High Power Wall Connector in North America, but they have not yet offered one for the Type-2 inlet cars. The charging rate will be slightly less in HK than the EU table above due to 220/380V vs. 230/400V in EU.