TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging Stations

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by Vmax, Mar 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

Makes me wonder why they are giving out information, as they did to me, saying it will be "x" without really knowing. Typical HK level of service if so.

Mark, did you get that response from Tesla HK or US?

2. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

Yep, sorry if it wasn't clear.

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Maybe 32A single phase could get through without an increased current demand?

4. Vmax

Vmax Member

Will try 3 phase and if they let me down will do single phase if that's possible without that form. If worse comes to worse, I will stick with my "household" sockets.

5. Vmax

Vmax Member

Interesting phone call with Tesla (Trista, very friendly and helpful) about 32amp single phase and 3 phase charging.
    All Model S for HK will only charge with 32amp single phase. Trista checked with HK EVpower about their 32amp three phase wallbox. Once the wallbox detects a Modell S upon connection, it will change to single phase and charge the Modell S. However other EV brands might be able to make use of the 3 phase of the wallbox.

6. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

Im not entirely convinced that Trista has the final info on what is happening. I would like to see something on the HK website, or preferably a "HK" (not Europe) label data sheet from Tesla, that comprehensively addresses the charging issue. It's too important to leave people wonder after they have confirmed their car.

7. Vmax

Vmax Member

#67 Vmax, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Charging at your local estate/long term parking - practical and usable soluti...

She sounded very certain about the issue. However it doesn't make sense that Tesla "robs" the HK version of the possibility to charge with 3 phase. Besides, why can we order Dual Chargers for HK? To my understanding, Dual Chargers only make sense if you charge with 3 phase, correct?

If my estate lets me, will install 3 phase. Just in case.

8. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

I'm pretty sure this is the case with European vehicles as well. I am also sure I heard Elon saying they were going to look at 3 phase charging. I got an email from Her and K and they were sure of the issue. I still am not convinced until Tesla tells me officially in writing.

9. miimura

miimura Active Member

This single phase only information is nonsense. Why even put the 3-phase Type 2 inlet on the car if it can't use it? The only thing that makes sense is that the HK cars start as UK spec RHD and they get any small changes required to meet HK vehicle regulations. The charging system in the UK Model S will be the same as the EU cars already delivered. They can take 3 phase from any public charging station, but you must bring your own Type 2 high current cable to get 11kW with single charger or 22kW with dual charger in the car.

There was a time (late 2012) when Tesla did not fully understand the need for 3-phase charging. However, they came around and made 3-phase on-board chargers and the modified Type 2 inlet for The Model S that can accommodate standard Type 2 and 135+kW SuperCharging on the same connector.

You are right about one thing - Tesla needs to put the HK vehicle specs all in writing with the full detail present in materials for other markets. This is the typical weak communications by Tesla.

10. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

The place I am going to park have responded that they are looking into it. I am sure they are genuinely interested, just waiting to see if there will be some obstacles which will prevent them of (or make them reluctant to) installing charging stations.

For the 13A single phase solution, they don't even need a technical charger solution - just a box with a meter and circuit breaker for each user - and then of course allocating of the adjacent parking spots to be EV only.

11. Rotorbow

Rotorbow Member

3 phase supply options are commonplace in HK. I live in a village house with a 3 phase outlet ready to charge my Model S. Tesla, please ensure this option is available for Hong Kong cars.

12. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

I have written to Tesla US to see if we can get an answer and comment about charging. I will post the reply if I get one.

13. markwj

#73 markwj, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    I am told (Tesla) that a survey will be sent out next week, asking for our feedback regarding what options we want for charging in HK.

I suspect that things are not finalised yet, and I wouldn't be digging up the ground to lay trunking just yet.

14. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

Thats a start. I would have thought that what we want is the maximum charge rate possible...

15. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk's Director of Education

I want supercharging, because that will most likely be my only source of electricity for the Model S.

16. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

Can't really see the point of a survey. We all want superchargers, the best charge rate at home and the convenience of not having to think about it. Just as a Elon says....

17. Vmax

Vmax Member

Just give us everything, technically possible, to charge from. Simple as that.

18. Vmax

Vmax Member

Please find attached the chargers offered by HK EVpower. I assume in the specs we can find what kind of electricity is available in HK. Besides on page 1 we can see the socket, which we will find in many of their installations.

Attached Files:

19. KingKitega

KingKitega Member

Where I live, theres a "Semi-Fast Type 1 (SAE-J1772)" charging station by HK EV Power in the car park. I'm just wondering if having a dual charger will give me any benefit.

On the website the instructions says "Semi‐Fast Charging refers to 20A‐32A SAE Socket" and can charge a Leaf in 2-3 hours (24kW battery). Doesn't say if its 1 or 3 phase so cannot tell whether I should pay for the dual charger... Can anyone help?

20. markwj

Up to 40A is single charger. But, European Model S socket doesn't have adaptor for J1772 yet.