Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I have my own 13amp charging at my estate’s carpark, my dream of the technically possible 32amp 3 phase upgrade might pop. I just learned, that CLP requests a form for “Rising Mains for Connection of Electrical Installation with an Increased Current Demand” to be signed by the building management or the chairman of the incorporated owners. I worry they might not sign the form.

Maybe 32A single phase could get through without an increased current demand?

Interesting phone call with Tesla (Trista, very friendly and helpful) about 32amp single phase and 3 phase charging.
All Model S for HK will only charge with 32amp single phase. Trista checked with HK EVpower about their 32amp three phase wallbox. Once the wallbox detects a Modell S upon connection, it will change to single phase and charge the Modell S. However other EV brands might be able to make use of the 3 phase of the wallbox.

Im not entirely convinced that Trista has the final info on what is happening. I would like to see something on the HK website, or preferably a "HK" (not Europe) label data sheet from Tesla, that comprehensively addresses the charging issue. It's too important to leave people wonder after they have confirmed their car.

Charging at your local estate/long term parking - practical and usable soluti...

She sounded very certain about the issue. However it doesn't make sense that Tesla "robs" the HK version of the possibility to charge with 3 phase. Besides, why can we order Dual Chargers for HK? To my understanding, Dual Chargers only make sense if you charge with 3 phase, correct?

If my estate lets me, will install 3 phase. Just in case.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this is the case with European vehicles as well. I am also sure I heard Elon saying they were going to look at 3 phase charging. I got an email from Her and K and they were sure of the issue. I still am not convinced until Tesla tells me officially in writing.

I'm pretty sure this is the case with European vehicles as well. I am also sure I heard Elon saying they were going to look at 3 phase charging. I got an email from Her and K and they were sure of the issue. I still am not convinced until Tesla tells me officially in writing.
This single phase only information is nonsense. Why even put the 3-phase Type 2 inlet on the car if it can't use it? The only thing that makes sense is that the HK cars start as UK spec RHD and they get any small changes required to meet HK vehicle regulations. The charging system in the UK Model S will be the same as the EU cars already delivered. They can take 3 phase from any public charging station, but you must bring your own Type 2 high current cable to get 11kW with single charger or 22kW with dual charger in the car.

There was a time (late 2012) when Tesla did not fully understand the need for 3-phase charging. However, they came around and made 3-phase on-board chargers and the modified Type 2 inlet for The Model S that can accommodate standard Type 2 and 135+kW SuperCharging on the same connector.

You are right about one thing - Tesla needs to put the HK vehicle specs all in writing with the full detail present in materials for other markets. This is the typical weak communications by Tesla.

The place I am going to park have responded that they are looking into it. I am sure they are genuinely interested, just waiting to see if there will be some obstacles which will prevent them of (or make them reluctant to) installing charging stations.

For the 13A single phase solution, they don't even need a technical charger solution - just a box with a meter and circuit breaker for each user - and then of course allocating of the adjacent parking spots to be EV only.

I am told (Tesla) that a survey will be sent out next week, asking for our feedback regarding what options we want for charging in HK.

I suspect that things are not finalised yet, and I wouldn't be digging up the ground to lay trunking just yet.

Last edited:
Please find attached the chargers offered by HK EVpower. I assume in the specs we can find what kind of electricity is available in HK. Besides on page 1 we can see the socket, which we will find in many of their installations.

Attachments

• Semi-fast EV Charger Catalogue_201312.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 432
Where I live, theres a "Semi-Fast Type 1 (SAE-J1772)" charging station by HK EV Power in the car park. I'm just wondering if having a dual charger will give me any benefit.

On the website the instructions says "Semi‐Fast Charging refers to 20A‐32A SAE Socket" and can charge a Leaf in 2-3 hours (24kW battery). Doesn't say if its 1 or 3 phase so cannot tell whether I should pay for the dual charger... Can anyone help?