Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re OCD like me and have all your energy stats downloaded into a spreadsheet, you can calculate a “blended” effective cost per kWh for all your energy use and including solar generation and export.

My blended grid cost for 2021 was 16.44c/kWh (including greenpower charges and value of solar exports). If I look at my total household consumption and divide it into the cost of my grid electricity (i.e including self-consumed solar) my blended cost for 2021 was 9.6 c/kWh. So I would use the latter figure in the App.
I have all that data but hadn’t thought of ’blending’ - great idea. Will be doing that later today

Enough tech people in this forum, some devs, some maybe PM, but blimey so many people upset at v1... every single time.
Imagine if Apple released a version of their apps which was so basic. They wouldn't because they should know it has to compete with what is already out there, and ideally, delight the customer.

This Charge Stats function, the navigation sans waypoints, FSD...it's fine for people who want half-baked MVP versions. But for most users out there, it's just a poor experience. It's the equivalent of game developers pushing out unfinished games and patching them later.

In this case it is more unforgivable, because this is SUPER BASIC functionality that should have been in the app all along. Just like navigation waypoints and third party charging stations (still not there).

How does one do that?

Serious question!

I assume via Tesla SSO - Sign In which gets you to login then select from a number of dropdown menus then offers some existing links but an option to submit something new.

Like this
connect.png

Imagine if Apple released a version of their apps which was so basic. They wouldn't because they should know it has to compete with what is already out there, and ideally, delight the customer.

This Charge Stats function, the navigation sans waypoints, FSD...it's fine for people who want half-baked MVP versions. But for most users out there, it's just a poor experience. It's the equivalent of game developers pushing out unfinished games and patching them later.

In this case it is more unforgivable, because this is SUPER BASIC functionality that should have been in the app all along. Just like navigation waypoints and third party charging stations (still not there).
Apple released iOS 1 or whatever it was called then with no copy/paste and the world was going to end. How could they do this? How could they not know this was needed. They knew, they just shipped earlier and were working on it. Apple are very careful and an example of an agile company with very long release cycles I guess.

I'm not defending all Tesla decisions or progress here, I would love improvements of my choice and faster delivery of them.

Waypoints being unable to be reordered is another example of a fast follow v2. Some on this forum think they know better and Tesla know f all. Did Tesla check the forums and say "oh damn, why didn't we think of that?!" - of course they were already working on it. However, you can wait and see, you can submit feedback, or you can just whinge thinking you know better.

Roadmaps are influenced by many competing priorities, there are many compromises. Your SUPER BASIC feature unfortunately might not match the roadmap.

Last edited:
If you’re OCD like me and have all your energy stats downloaded into a spreadsheet, you can calculate a “blended” effective cost per kWh for all your energy use and including solar generation and export.

My blended grid cost for 2021 was 16.44c/kWh (including greenpower charges and value of solar exports). If I look at my total household consumption and divide it into the cost of my grid electricity (i.e including self-consumed solar) my blended cost for 2021 was 9.6 c/kWh. So I would use the latter figure in the App.
Any chance you could share an example as a google sheet please? :)

Are you sure you have 4.5.1? I'm on iOS 15.0.1 and it is there.
Yes, I'm sure - screenshot attached. This is baffling me, and I've been an Apple fanboy since Steve Jobs was in kindergarten.

IMG_0054.PNG

Edit: could this functionality be somehow linked to the version of the car's software ? I'm still on 2021.32.10, despite checking (nearly) every day ...

Last edited:
Any chance you could share an example as a google sheet please? :)

Not easily, no.

The simplest way is to get your last 4 quarters of power bills, add up the total cost, and divide it by the net amount of grid electricity used in kWh (consumption minus exports). If you also know your solar-self consumption for the same period, you can add that into your net grid consumption to dilute the cost more.

Reactions: Maximillan