TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging stopped at 98%

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by surfrasch, Dec 10, 2019.

1. surfrasch

surfrasch Member

I’ve read all the posts about loss of charging max since V10, same deal here but I noticed something a little different last two full charges.....

I set my slider to full charge, it says 308 miles.
    It charges and stops at 304, says its full charge. Okay no different than others.
    Before I pull out of the garage I set up a trip on the GPS.
    I check the trip graph and it shows my trip starting at 98% charge.

I find this strange, 98% at 304 would indicate a 310 full charge. I was under the impression that the graph % charge is quite accurate. If it’s accurate is there a reason why it would stop charging at 98%? It would seem this number is maybe just a calculation based on standard?

quick pic of the graph if I can figure this out....

A2E49B84-9A8C-4BEA-BB8F-06D79B54296A.jpeg

2. WesB

WesB Member

Did you set a departure time? Last week I had set the charge limit to 100% and I set a departure time but the car stopped charging at 95% and said charging completed.

3. surfrasch

surfrasch Member

no departure time, just normal charging.

4. adrianp89

adrianp89 Member

Same issue last night. Only change is V10.

5. surfrasch

surfrasch Member

I suspect it’s been doing this all along since I loaded V10 early October, I just never looked.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Bjorn Nyland reported it stopping at 99%, maybe Tesla has updated their software to make it stop at 98%. :p

7. surfrasch

surfrasch Member

8. diezel_dave

diezel_dave Member

Its because your battery is cold. When it heats up, the voltage will climb. If you charged it to 100% at a low temperature, once it heats up, it will be overcharged. My car does this too. Take your car on a spirited drive to warm up the battery then come back and charge it. I bet it goes all the way too 100% like mine does.

• Informative x 1
  9. surfrasch

surfrasch Member

That’s totally logical, temps in my garage around 45F to 50F at the time of charging, and car hadn’t been driven in 24 hours. Thanks!

• Like x 1