Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stopped at 98%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read all the posts about loss of charging max since V10, same deal here but I noticed something a little different last two full charges.....

I set my slider to full charge, it says 308 miles.
It charges and stops at 304, says its full charge. Okay no different than others.
Before I pull out of the garage I set up a trip on the GPS.
I check the trip graph and it shows my trip starting at 98% charge.

I find this strange, 98% at 304 would indicate a 310 full charge. I was under the impression that the graph % charge is quite accurate. If it’s accurate is there a reason why it would stop charging at 98%? It would seem this number is maybe just a calculation based on standard?

quick pic of the graph if I can figure this out....

A2E49B84-9A8C-4BEA-BB8F-06D79B54296A.jpeg

I’ve read all the posts about loss of charging max since V10, same deal here but I noticed something a little different last two full charges.....

I set my slider to full charge, it says 308 miles.
It charges and stops at 304, says its full charge. Okay no different than others.
Before I pull out of the garage I set up a trip on the GPS.
I check the trip graph and it shows my trip starting at 98% charge.

I find this strange, 98% at 304 would indicate a 310 full charge. I was under the impression that the graph % charge is quite accurate. If it’s accurate is there a reason why it would stop charging at 98%? It would seem this number is maybe just a calculation based on standard?

quick pic of the graph if I can figure this out....

View attachment 486796

Its because your battery is cold. When it heats up, the voltage will climb. If you charged it to 100% at a low temperature, once it heats up, it will be overcharged. My car does this too. Take your car on a spirited drive to warm up the battery then come back and charge it. I bet it goes all the way too 100% like mine does.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
Its because your battery is cold. When it heats up, the voltage will climb. If you charged it to 100% at a low temperature, once it heats up, it will be overcharged. My car does this too. Take your car on a spirited drive to warm up the battery then come back and charge it. I bet it goes all the way too 100% like mine does.

That’s totally logical, temps in my garage around 45F to 50F at the time of charging, and car hadn’t been driven in 24 hours. Thanks!

Reactions: diezel_dave