Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stopped at superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took our first long trip where we needed to charge along the way. About 200 miles each way.

On the way there we stopped near our destination with about 25% charge left. Plugged in and went to shop a bit and eat.

Before our food came we got a message that charging had stopped. Seems to have stopped at about 80% There were empty chargers available, no reason that we could see for it to stop. When we came out we unplugged and replugged into the SC and charging began again. We left with about 85% charge and went to our destination.

Later on the way home we stopped with about 50% charge and went to eat. Again the car stopped charging near 80%. That was more than enough for us to get home, but I’d like to understand what happened. Had the first charge topped the battery off (or got close) we wouldn’t have had to stop again.

Any ideas why this happened?

We took our first long trip where we needed to charge along the way. About 200 miles each way.

On the way there we stopped near our destination with about 25% charge left. Plugged in and went to shop a bit and eat.

Before our food came we got a message that charging had stopped. Seems to have stopped at about 80% There were empty chargers available, no reason that we could see for it to stop. When we came out we unplugged and replugged into the SC and charging began again. We left with about 85% charge and went to our destination.

Later on the way home we stopped with about 50% charge and went to eat. Again the car stopped charging near 80%. That was more than enough for us to get home, but I’d like to understand what happened. Had the first charge topped the battery off (or got close) we wouldn’t have had to stop again.

Any ideas why this happened?

What percent did you set the battery to charge to?

Same thing happened to me today. I was down in the 35% range when I pulled up to Charlottesville VA SC. Plugged in and headed to grab a bite. Went good for awhile but then stopped so I headed out to check. Unplugged and plugged back in, no dice. So I moved to the next stall and was able to plug and charge to my set limit

Reactions: Mike_in_NY
I think some of the supercharger units might be faulty. I've had one in Edison NJ just stop after 10 minutes and it was never able to start charging again even after replugging. I moved to another unit and everything was fine.

Reactions: Mike_in_NY
Now I'm here in Gustine along hw 5 on my way back to the bay.. it happened again.. the charging just stopped. And then the light on the plug turned red. Had to move to another station again. It seems to be working now.

Somebody is charging to the station where I left. It seems to be working for him...

When I was LA, I charged in Anaheim and Downey superchargers. No prob.

here in Gustine along hw 5
Same thing happened to us in Gustine. I looked at my app to see how charging was progressing only to find that it had stopped with less than 50% charge! We got no notification that charging had stopped AND worst if all, we were charged $8 idle fees apparently for 16 minutes that elapsed before I noticed charging had stopped for no reason!!! I've emailed Tesla and expect to be refunded.

Same thing happened to us in Gustine. I looked at my app to see how charging was progressing only to find that it had stopped with less than 50% charge! We got no notification that charging had stopped AND worst if all, we were charged $8 idle fees apparently for 16 minutes that elapsed before I noticed charging had stopped for no reason!!! I've emailed Tesla and expect to be refunded.
Had it happen to me a couple times. Seem no rhyme or reason. Usually just un plug then plug back in and check the display.
We got a refund and an apology but no explanation.

Now I'm here in Gustine along hw 5 on my way back to the bay.. it happened again.. the charging just stopped. And then the light on the plug turned red. Had to move to another station again. It seems to be working now.

Somebody is charging to the station where I left. It seems to be working for him...

When I was LA, I charged in Anaheim and Downey superchargers. No prob.
On the way home at Gustine again the charge rate dropped to 4kW! It was showing hours left to charge! We disconnected & reconnected but it didn’t get better. We had to move to another charger. Clearly there are problems at Gustine.

Last edited:
On the way home at Gustine again the charge rate dropped to 4kwh! It was showing hours left to charge! We disconnected & reconnected but it didn’t get better. We had to move to another charger. Clearly there are problems at Gustine.

kW, the instantaneous measure of electricity flow.

kWh, amount of electricity stored/added, like gallons of gas.

I’ve twice had super chargers stop charging after about 10 mins. Both times I was able to remotely restart charging from the app. Both times it seemed like it restarted at a much slower charging speed... like Tesla was using the charging interruption as a way to throttle free charging(?).