Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stopped-rebuild title

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I suspect that the car won't charge and that it might be due to a Tesla update is due to the notification that appeared on my screen just below the dispaly of the car where you press to open the charge port. "Car needs service, Unable to Charge", "Unable to Charge, Unplug and try again". There was no electrical damage during the accident so I have not worked on any electrical parts. I have not done any welding on the car due to my concern of too many electrical componente to take a chance. The reason that I kept charging the car when not working on the car is due to the problem on Tesla cars loosing 3 to 5 miles of range every day when not in use. To protect the battery, I have kept the battery and 85%

The reason I suspect that the car won't charge and that it might be due to a Tesla update is due to the notification that appeared on my screen just below the dispaly of the car where you press to open the charge port. "Car needs service, Unable to Charge", "Unable to Charge, Unplug and try again". There was no electrical damage during the accident so I have not worked on any electrical parts.

Didn't you replace the pyro-fuse? Isn't that working on electrical parts?

Things do fail without collision damage or updates, so it could just be coincidence. (There have been a number of PCS failures on Model 3s.) I have never heard of Tesla disabling AC charging, so this is probably not a result of Tesla doing something, but you need someone with access to the internal fault logs to know what it thinks needs service. (I'm assuming you have shut the car down and disconnected the 12v battery to do a full reboot to see if it clears up.) Tesla should be able to do that for you, but of course it would require paying for, and passing, their HV inspection.

To Mp3 Mike, Thanks for the form. I will get going dealing with Tesla. I really don't care what the cost is as this is a learning experience.

To dsberg: You are absolutely correct. A wiring diagram is of little use on a computer car as one will need specialized test equipment which I have for other modern cars, but is not readably available for a Tesla.

I have a Tesla 3 with 4K miles on it and can't get service from Tesla due to rebuilt title. A light appeared on screen saying charging disabled. Now I can not charge it with my regular 240 volt charger or the 110 volt charger that came with the car. I live in Southern California and I may need help getting computer reprogramed and protection to prevent this from happering if it is do to a Tesla software update.

Any help would be appreciated.
Have you read the salvage thread?
There might be some people and information to help you there
Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

To MP@Mike, Yes, sorry I did replace the pyro fuse. However the reason I purchased the car was because it was not a run and drive car and sold for much less due to the need of a $70 part. I looked at the car and detrmined that there was little damage and replaced it first thing so I could evaluate the car. I am a electrical engineer and I do understand the purpose of a pyro fuse and do know why Tesla incorporates that design. The air bag module disables the pyro fuse to prevent a fire in case the car is in an accident. It disabled the pyro fuse purely for safety and not because af a short in the battery or a overload on the battery. In my world, working on 300 volts DC is just a normal day at work.

I have a question. A part may be missing that is located just below the trunk latch mounted to center of the plastic facia mount. A wiring harness comes from under the rear left fender and has a four pin plug that would plug into this device. I cannot find any part in the part list for this. The facia front and back were removed before I purchased the car and this part would have recieved a direct hit in the accident and may have been discarded. The size of the device and the way it would mount is like the Home Link device but that goes in the front of the car. I need this part or know if it is an accessory that I don't need. I am awaiting the answer to this question before I mount the rear facia. A rear facing radar device would have more pins, I think. You see, I have a lot to learn.

I also need to learn how to to do a reboot of the compter. That I haven't done.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I have a question. A part may be missing that is located just below the trunk latch mounted to center of the plastic facia mount. A wiring harness comes from under the rear left fender and has a four pin plug that would plug into this device. I cannot find any part in the part list for this. The facia front and back were removed before I purchased the car and this part would have recieved a direct hit in the accident and may have been discarded. The size of the device and the way it would mount is like the Home Link device but that goes in the front of the car. I need this part or know if it is an accessory that I don't need. I am awaiting the answer to this question before I mount the rear facia. A rear facing radar device would have more pins, I think. You see, I have a lot to learn.

That sounds like one of the Bluetooth receiver modules used to unlock the car.

A wiring harness comes from under the rear left fender and has a four pin plug that would plug into this device.

What year is the car? I have had a bumper off of a Model 3 before but I only remember the harness for the sensors needing to be disconnected. Could just not be remembering a Bluetooth module though if it did not need to be removed for tow hitch install.

I wonder about the year because I wonder if they have added wiring for tow hitch/tow package lighting? I know they added the panel to the rear diffuser at some point so wonder if a harness was added too?

Last edited:
A wiring harness comes from under the rear left fender and has a four pin plug that would plug into this device. I cannot find any part in the part list for this. The facia front and back were removed before I purchased the car and this part would have recieved a direct hit in the accident and may have been discarded.

I think pics here show what you want, there's even a part number visible.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I Ordered it from eBay for $60. There are a number of them available, used of course. I can't buy anything from Tesla because of salvage title. Maybe that will change if I get the car certified by Tesla.

Again that is false. From: Privacy & Legal | Tesla

When a vehicle is classified as a salvaged vehicle:
  • Any Tesla limited warranties and extended service agreements for the vehicle are void.
    NOTE: Repairs due to recalls will be performed unless the safe repair of the vehicle is prevented either by the condition of the vehicle or by vehicle modifications not installed by Tesla. If the Tesla Service Center determines that the vehicle is not safe to repair, the recall-related repair will not be performed until the customer has returned the vehicle to a condition that the Service Center determines is safe to repair.
  • Supercharging is permanently disabled.
  • Parts availability is not affected. Any Unrestricted or Over-the-Counter part may be purchased for a salvage-titled vehicle.
  • A “Salvage-Titled Vehicle HV Safety Inspection” may be performed (at the customer’s expense) on the vehicle to determine if the HV-related components are safe to work on or access.

To TSA pilot. Who said that I am driving it around with four air bags deployed. I drive it from the parking stall in my garage to the rack where I work on the car. I have been doing all the work on the car first and airbags last as I have an airbag guy who replaces them for a living. I need a certified person for airbags so that I can get the car certified with Tesla if that is my choice. I run a busness repairing automobiles and know what has to be done when repairing a car with a rebuilt title. I have to get the car finished and have it inspected by the state of California before I get a licience to drive the car on the road. The works does not have to be done by a Tesla certified shop. We can go into the subject of Tesla certified shops, but that is not the subject for today. However I do drive my MG, Corvette and Jaguar with out airbags as there is another world out there. The world before airbags and even seatbelts. I usually don't post on an open forum like this, rather, I post on professional forms, but in this case the professional forums aren't any help with a Tesla. They ane interested at they see the oppertunity in the future and I will be givving them my experience with the Tesla. For those with constructive comments I thank you. For the others, please lets stay on the subject of how to enable the charging. TSA, I won't tell you how and when to fly your airplane.
Nice update. Since it seems you are relatively new here, you already discovered that there are a FEW people whom if you tell them the sun is behind the clouds, they will say oh my God, the sky is falling and the world is coming to an end. Folks make bad assumptions about things. HOWEVER, you have also discovered, that fortunately most people here are really smart and helpful :)
Looking forward to learning the cause and the outcome to get your car on the road and happily driving.

The reason I suspect that the car won't charge and that it might be due to a Tesla update is due to the notification that appeared on my screen just below the dispaly of the car where you press to open the charge port. "Car needs service, Unable to Charge", "Unable to Charge, Unplug and try again". There was no electrical damage during the accident so I have not worked on any electrical parts.

Doesn't matter if there was no electrical damage during the crash (really a statement no one can make without a full inspection), as plenty of people have issues with their car. What is unique in your case is that you cannot get service from Tesla. There is no way they are blocking you via an update. That's just passing blame.

Sounds to me like you have an issue with the charging system, could be one of many parts. We can assume for now it is not an issue with the battery electronics because if it was, that would be expensive. The primary culprit would be the charge-port system.

Charging Disabled

For the average person, I am sure Bill Foster is exactly right. However I purchased the car mainly to learn about Tesla as I think it is the way of the future. I have many cars in my collectionm Jaguars, Porsches, Corvettes, MG and even an Lexus, so I didn't need another car. In time I will overcome every obstacle. It would sure help if I had a wiring manual.

You need to connect with people who are experienced with Tesla service. This guy Rich Rebuilds (https://electrifiedgarage.com/) is desperate for money, so you can pay him to give you the knowledge and advice to fix it. You also would be networking with people in a similar hobby.

Tesla service will replace the charge port to fix this issue, but you cannot get another charge port, you will need to know how it is intended to work, determine how yours is failing, and attempt a fix.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
upload_2020-1-22_16-43-5.png

The above post is what I received when I sent a purchase prder order for a rear facia and this is the responce that I received. This is why I think Tesla will not sell parts to me. If I am wrong, I am a happy camper. I read the "Privacy and Legal" and i think what I said is correct. "I can't buy anything from Tesla because of salvage title. Maybe that will change if I get the car certified by Tesla."

• Informative
The above post is what I received when I sent a purchase prder order for a rear facia and this is the responce that I received. This is why I think Tesla will not sell parts to me. If I am wrong, I am a happy camper. I read the "Privacy and Legal" and i think what I said is correct. "I can't buy anything from Tesla because of salvage title. Maybe that will change if I get the car certified by Tesla."

You just need to point them to their policy which clearly states: "When a vehicle is classified as a salvaged vehicle: Parts availability is not affected. Any Unrestricted or Over-the-Counter part may be purchased for a salvage-titled vehicle." I don't know how you can read that as meaning you can't order parts. There is no mention of getting certified. (Which isn't even a thing anymore, they dropped that when they enacted this new policy.)

It appears that not every service center knows that the policy was changed...

Status
Not open for further replies.