Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stopped-rebuild title

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Tesla 3 with 4K miles on it and can't get service from Tesla due to rebuilt title. A light appeared on screen saying charging disabled. Now I can not charge it with my regular 240 volt charger or the 110 volt charger that came with the car. I live in Southern California and I may need help getting computer reprogramed and protection to prevent this from happering if it is do to a Tesla software update.

Any help would be appreciated.

I rebuilt the car. The damage was limited due to a hit in the back on the freeway and pushed into the car in front setting off the airbags. No damage to headlights or tail lights but a dent in the trunk and a damaged facia and rear bumper. The front had limited damage also. Facia replace and bumper repaired. I have done frame of restoration on many sport cars, Corvettes, Porsches, Jaguars and this was very easy compared to past repairs. The wind shield was cracked due to the hood pushed back a half inch and hinge cracking glass. Hood was not damaged or frunk plastic. The main damage was the four front airbags were set off and all four seat belts needed reseting. I replaced the pyro fuse and it ran and charged perfectly.

For the average person, I am sure Bill Foster is exactly right. However I purchased the car mainly to learn about Tesla as I think it is the way of the future. I have many cars in my collectionm Jaguars, Porsches, Corvettes, MG and even an Lexus, so I didn't need another car. In time I will overcome every obstacle. It would sure help if I had a wiring manual.

I wouldn't think Tesla would do it on purpose but an update to the software might trigger something. I still have the airbags that need replacing. Other than airbags and seat belts,there was no electrical damage to the car. One problem with Tesla is that one can't just call a service manager and get good information like any other car. They ask for the vin number and send one away with a rebuild title. This car has only 4K miles on it.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Whew, some on the forum are harsh. I would make it a long term goal to replace the airbags and see if you can get it certified by Tesla. Then you will have full support (and a car you can resell).

In the meantime though it does sound like you will have to contact a Tesla rebuilder. Heck, paying them for a few hours of talk and work might gain you thousands in knowledge and time saved.

Reactions: KenC and APotatoGod
The idea that only the Tesla certified parts swappers can work on a car is silly.

Professional tech can be great at swapping parts without actually understanding systems.
Enthusiasts can know more.

I know this is a foreign concept to the cripplingly academic.

That said I do see it as possible the car could disable charging due to airbag deployment.

OP, I cant help you at all, but from reading here, I also dont think an OTA update would shut down AC charging. Supercharging, yes, but AC charging, highly unlikely.

You might want to look at your physical connections around your charging port.

Good luck

I know this is a foreign concept to the cripplingly academic.

Might be the same people who clog up the service centers by taking their cars there to have their tires rotated!

These vehicles appear to be amazingly simple compared to ICE vehicles. Looking forward to the days when full diagnostics and wiring diagrams are available, along with repair and de-energizing procedures, etc.

Last edited:
To TSA pilot. Who said that I am driving it around with four air bags deployed. I drive it from the parking stall in my garage to the rack where I work on the car. I have been doing all the work on the car first and airbags last as I have an airbag guy who replaces them for a living. I need a certified person for airbags so that I can get the car certified with Tesla if that is my choice. I run a busness repairing automobiles and know what has to be done when repairing a car with a rebuilt title. I have to get the car finished and have it inspected by the state of California before I get a licience to drive the car on the road. The works does not have to be done by a Tesla certified shop. We can go into the subject of Tesla certified shops, but that is not the subject for today. However I do drive my MG, Corvette and Jaguar with out airbags as there is another world out there. The world before airbags and even seatbelts. I usually don't post on an open forum like this, rather, I post on professional forms, but in this case the professional forums aren't any help with a Tesla. They ane interested at they see the oppertunity in the future and I will be givving them my experience with the Tesla. For those with constructive comments I thank you. For the others, please lets stay on the subject of how to enable the charging. TSA, I won't tell you how and when to fly your airplane.

To MP3Mike: Thank you for the link "Privacy and Legal I Tesla". I have tried to call service and didn't get any useful information. So all that I know about their policy is what I have read on the internet. I need to go visit them in person and lean just how much help I should expect from Tesla. One can understand why they don't want to get involved in any more service work with customers waiting months for car reapirs. My brother-in-law has waited two month with his Model S for his collision shop to get parts after a rear rear end collision.

To MP3Mike: Thank you for the link "Privacy and Legal I Tesla". I have tried to call service and didn't get any useful information. So all that I know about their policy is what I have read on the internet. I need to go visit them in person and lean just how much help I should expect from Tesla. One can understand why they don't want to get involved in any more service work with customers waiting months for car reapirs. My brother-in-law has waited two month with his Model S for his collision shop to get parts after a rear rear end collision.

And here is the form for getting the HV inspection done. (I don't know if there is a newer version, this is from back when they changed their policy on salvage vehicles in mid-2018.)

Attachments

• SC-14-00-007_Authorization_and_Release_for_Inspection_of_Salvage_Titled.pdf
    173.8 KB · Views: 291
Status
Not open for further replies.