Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Stopped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of a sudden my model Y keeps stop charging. It happens with both my Wall connector and Mobile connector. A couple of times it re-started by itself but stopped again. I tried rebooting (scroll wheels + brake) but it did not help. I can restart manually but it will stop charging over and over. It usually stops after just a few minutes (less than 10min).
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks for your help.

All of a sudden my model Y keeps stop charging. It happens with both my Wall connector and Mobile connector. A couple of times it re-started by itself but stopped again. I tried rebooting (scroll wheels + brake) but it did not help. I can restart manually but it will stop charging over and over. It usually stops after just a few minutes (less than 10min).
Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks for your help.
When it happens again contact Roadside Assistance. They may be able to recover some codes from your Model Y. Otherwise it is time to schedule a service appointment via the Tesla App. Have you ever used a SuperCharger? Now would be a good time to find out if you can charge using a SuperCharger. The Tesla Navigation system can guide you to the closest SuperCharger.

If the Model Y's charging port is the source of the problem then you probably won't be able to charge using a SuperCharger. If the Model Y's on-board charger is the source of the problem then you may be able to charge using a SuperCharger as the SuperCharger charging session bypasses the Model Y's on-board charger.

Last edited:
When it happens again contact Roadside Assistance. They may be able to recover some codes from your Model Y. Otherwise it is time to schedule a service appointment via the Tesla App. Have you ever used a SuperCharger? Now would be a good time to find out if you can charge using a SuperCharger. The Tesla Navigation system can guide you to the closest SuperCharger.
Thanks jconoe, I'll try the Supercharger. I made an appointment with mobile service but it's 2 weeks away.

No problems with Superchargers.
I had this problem for several weeks (Clipper Creek EVSE, 40A). A friend, Model 3 owner ( over 100k miles) recommended I change the in-car charge setting from 48A to 32A. Problem solved. Slower charging rate, but overnight, it doesn't matter.

I've since bumped the charge rate up to 40A, and have had no interrupted charging sessions.

FYI, my very friendly SC could find nothing wrong with the charging system in the car.

Supercharging and AC charging are completely different. I've seen people unable to charge in AC but successful in supercharger (DC). In AC mode (at home), the charger (AC-DC converter) is in your car, and that part sometimes fails. It's three 16A parts in my model 3, I suspect it's the same in the Y. You can have one module fail, in which case you'd be limited to say 32A on 240V instead of 48A. I think in 3-phase current situations all three would be required to work, but I'm not 100% sure here.
Overheating, for example at the plug on the mobile charger, could also slow or maybe stop charging. You could check that your plug is good.
Significant Voltage drops can also cause charging issues. You could check if the voltage drops significantly when the car starts charging. You'll have drops if you don't use a big enough wire for the load you pull. In those cases, reducing the Amps you pull might make it work.

No I haven't had a chance to use the SC yet. I have tried many different amps and both 110 and 240. It doesn't matter which one I use it stops charging. One thing different however is after a few hours it starts charging again by itself but then stops charging again.
Thanks for the kind responses.

I've been working with tesla support for weeks with my mY as it stops charging after only a few miles. The needle drops to 50% and says "charging complete" I reset the needle to full and approx 5m later it does the same thing and stops charging. I leave it plugged in all night. Wake in the a.m. and car is charged? Tesla service has been here and tried everything and cant figure it out. I have it scheduled to be left with service to monitor and troubleshoot

I've been working with tesla support for weeks with my mY as it stops charging after only a few miles. The needle drops to 50% and says "charging complete" I reset the needle to full and approx 5m later it does the same thing and stops charging. I leave it plugged in all night. Wake in the a.m. and car is charged? Tesla service has been here and tried everything and cant figure it out. I have it scheduled to be left with service to monitor and troubleshoot
Are you using OptiWatt?