Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stops after 5-10min

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - picked up my Model 3 yesterday and tried charging at home using the cable that came with it and having a 14-50 adapter to the 14-50 outlets in my home. but no matter how often i plug in, it is charging for 5-10min and then stops and I can't start charging again from app. have to go out and unplug and plug back in? what issue could that be?

Hi - picked up my Model 3 yesterday and tried charging at home using the cable that came with it and having a 14-50 adapter to the 14-50 outlets in my home. but no matter how often i plug in, it is charging for 5-10min and then stops and I can't start charging again from app. have to go out and unplug and plug back in? what issue could that be?
I’d call Tesla emergency roadside service or just drive car back to service center sounds like there is a problem with your charging system.

Can you plug in and watch what happens to the voltage (~230-240v) on the charging screen? Check/record what happens over the 5 minutes and it may show if there is a problem with your electrical system. If the voltage drops more than a certain percent, then charging will stop. It is a safety feature to prevent wires from overheating in your house.

What plug do you have on the mobile connector?
What does the center screen read for amps and volts when the charge is starting and when it cuts out?
Have you tried the 120V plug direct to an outlet?

this means that the car is detecting an issue with powerflow. Its either a problem with your car (unlikely) or problem with your electrical system / outlets (more likely).

Who installed your 14-50 outlet, and when was it installed? I would start with that.

thanks. I noticed that the charging amp showed 33/32 - I reduced the Amp seeting now to 30A and it seems to keep on charging - looks like that is the issue, yet why does it do that and exceed the max setting? any thoughts?

this means that the car is detecting an issue with powerflow. Its either a problem with your car (unlikely) or problem with your electrical system / outlets (more likely).

Who installed your 14-50 outlet, and when was it installed? I would start with that.
a certified electrician - I talked to him and he said he tested everything and should be good. I noticed though if I set the Amp to 32 in the charging screen, the actual amp shows 33/32 - so i reduced the setting to 30 and now it charges at 31/32 - but keeps charging. I don't know enough about electricity, so does that sound like an issue with the car or the outlet?

thanks. I noticed that the charging amp showed 33/32 - I reduced the Amp seeting now to 30A and it seems to keep on charging - looks like that is the issue, yet why does it do that and exceed the max setting? any thoughts?
That is weird. I can see why it would fault after a while (charge > max). There may be an issue with the internal calibrations. One part thinks it's 32 another thinks it's 33.
Tesla may be able to remotely diagnose it.

It sounds like somewhere in your electrical connection can't handle 32A continuous.

Try cutting the maximum amperage by half (to 16A) and see if that fixes the problem.
If it does, call an electrician.

Also make sure everything is plugged together correctly and firmly.

• Disagree
Reactions: mongo

Again, you need to know the voltages, not (only) the amps. Voltage at 0-1 amps, and voltage at 32A. Also the length from the outlet to your main panel would be of interest.

Dropping to 30A confirms this theory that there is a problem with your electrical wiring. The voltage drop at 32A is too high, but not at 30A.

• Disagree
a certified electrician - I talked to him and he said he tested everything and should be good. I noticed though if I set the Amp to 32 in the charging screen, the actual amp shows 33/32 - so i reduced the setting to 30 and now it charges at 31/32 - but keeps charging. I don't know enough about electricity, so does that sound like an issue with the car or the outlet?
Update: You've effectively proven its the outlet, or more likely the wiring behind it. Find out what gauge wiring was used in the wall. Your wiring might not be capable of supporting 32A continuous

If an SR+ the car is capped at 32A, otherwise it could charge at 48A.
Slower charging at 30A trivial compared to 32A, though I recommend going down to 24A until you determine the wiring inside your walls isn't overheating.

• Disagree
Disagreeing with the previous 3 posts because the reported charge indication is 33/32. Meaning the car is drawing more than it is supposed to. That should throw a fault.

With the car set to 30 amps it is drawing 31, which is also 1 more than the setpoint, but less than the WC says it can supply. So no overcurrent fault.

Regarding voltage drop as the cause, from the 3 manual the failure mode would be different:
SmartSelect_20200321-163551_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

If the wall plug has a bad connection and is overheating, that could cause a drop out, but the 2 amp sensitivity seems questionable for that. If the UMC sensed high temp, the red indicator would be flashing.
SmartSelect_20200321-164244_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
SmartSelect_20200321-164308_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
SmartSelect_20200321-164318_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

@PeterNFS, can you confirm the light status? Also check that the 14-50 adapter is fully seated into the wall end connector, just in case.
SmartSelect_20200321-164558_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Disagreeing with the previous 3 posts because the reported charge indication is 33/32. Meaning the car is drawing more than it is supposed to. That should throw a fault.

With the car set to 30 amps it is drawing 31, which is also 1 more than the setpoint, but less than the WC says it can supply. So no overcurrent fault.

That theory works. Something wrong with the car charger that it can't set number of amps.

the now interesting part is that when I set the amps to 24 or below, the charging does do its thing at that amp and it does not stop anymore. if I set to 25 or above, it charges 1 amp greater than the setting and craps out after 10 or so minutes. will swing by Tesla in the morning. my electrician confirmed the circuit he ran is good for 50amp

• Helpful
the now interesting part is that when I set the amps to 24 or below, the charging does do its thing at that amp and it does not stop anymore. if I set to 25 or above, it charges 1 amp greater than the setting and craps out after 10 or so minutes. will swing by Tesla in the morning. my electrician confirmed the circuit he ran is good for 50amp
Interesting. I'm actually glad to hear it faults when the charge current is higher than the setpoint and not just higher than the max.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I had a similar problem with my Tesla Model X. I'm in Spain, and not sure the socket I'm using is wired properly.

I reduced the power from 10A to 5A (different levels at 220V). And it has solved the problem.

My car goes from 0 to 16, pauses a moment, then keeps going up until momentarily hitting 33A, then settles at 32A, so the fact it goes to 33 shouldn't be an issue by itself. What I suggest for the OP is to try to find another 14/50 outlet, and that would immediately tell him where the issue is, and go from there.