TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging stops before limit is reached

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by peterjameswass, Jan 2, 2020.

1. peterjameswass

Hi,

New member here - Model 3 Performance, MSM leased via OctopusEV since November 2019. Apologies for the lengthy post....!

I'm having a problem with charging in that the charging session will stop before the set limit is reached. This seems to happen intermittently. I reported it to Tesla support how did a remote diagnosis and this is their response -

"Our virtual service technicians have reviewed your charging stopping occurrence and found that it was caused by your charger detecting a power surge in the electric grid, possibly caused by other electric devices connected to the electric grid nearby.

"In order to troubleshoot the issue, we'd kindly ask that you try charging at a different location, for instance at work or at a public AC charger.

"This is to determine if the reason for the charge stopping is surges from the electric grid at one location, or if the charge stop follows the car.

"If the behavior is observed at other locations, we'll invite you to visit a Service Center for further diagnosis, and if the issue does not follow the car we can offer to help troubleshoot remotely, however note this is difficult since the reason for the behavior may be outside of Tesla's control. You may also ask an electrician to inspect the charge installation at the location where you're experiencing problems."

I tried charging from a 13amp socket over Xmas and this worked okay. I contacted the supplier of my home charge point (EO Mini Pro) who suggested that it may be linked to the 'smart' features of the charger cutting the charge for some reason. They sent instructions on how to unplug the 'smart' part of the charger so that it just operates as a 'dumb' charger. This seemed to work okay the first time I tested it but last night the charging session stopped again before the limit was reached.

When the charging session stops I can restart it immediately via the app.

I have a replacement EO Mini Pro on the way but my gut feel is that this may not solve the issue.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thanks!

2. 640k

640k Member

why are you using a third party charger as your daily? why not the included mobile charger?

3. peterjameswass

The EO Mini Pro is my home charge point. Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the 'mobile charger'.

4. 640k

640k Member

not sure if it's different in the EU (don't know why it would be), but all Teslas come with their own mobile charger. i did some light digging and there are users that have success with the EO.

Eo Mini Pro installed

5. peterjameswass

Yes - I did plenty of research on the EO Mini Pro before purchasing. My question is more about whether any other M3 owner has experienced the same issue with charging stopping before the set limit is reached.

6. doghousePVD

doghousePVD My grandfather’s car

If your home has older wiring, a poor ground and neutral bounding may be a problem. Do you have any large non-resistance loads at your house, such as a/c, large ventilation system, induction stove, etc.?

7. peterjameswass

Thanks doghouse....no, nothing odd about the wiring or appliances - all pretty usual UK domestic stuff.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Have you tried Tesla’s advice and tested another charger location?

9. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

I would not take that statement too serious about the cause being something on the grid. That implies to me the issue is outside of your home. There is no way for Tesla to know remotely as to the source of the surge (home or grid). For that matter, could be something as simple as surges on the line caused by inductive kickback from motors (like a large pool pump) kicking off. That is only an example, not saying that is the cause. My point is the issue can just as easily be within your domain and not necessarily the "grid". They should be using better terminology in my opinion.